or Connect

Posts by AquariusHome

I would think so, too.  Which is one of the reasons I'm not completely convinced we're on the right track with the gluten theory and why I would really like to have some sort of clear sign that gluten is the issue before I eliminate it long-term.  The only thing we really have on gluten is the tTG, which is of questionable validity.   The reality is that he seems to be absorbing the supplemental iron pretty well.  The last time he was anemic (age 4) we gave him a...
How will I know that eliminating gluten makes a difference if I do it while I'm also working to resolve the anemia?  If I supplement with iron to correct the anemia chances are good his behavior is going to improve.  If I supplement with iron and eliminate gluten, chances are his behavior is going to improve.      If I supplement with iron, his iron levels will go up.  If I supplement with iron and eliminate gluten, his iron levels will go up.    If I supplement...
The stomachaches and possible reflux are DS1, my 8-yr old.  DS2, my anemic guy just has the anemia and the episodic grouchiness/ tendency toward meltdowns in the evenings which could be explained by the anemia.  He isn't typically a grouchy kid but has been having these episodes recently for several months which makes me think its more a factor of the anemia than whatever food is the problem.   The anemia is a clue, but I'm not comfortable letting it drop right now. ...
I hear what you are both saying and am thinking it over.  Kathy, I have had the same thought that maybe eliminating gluten without supplementing iron would give us the answer if his iron levels go up.  But if they don't I really don't want him to continue being anemic longer than necessary.  It seems like we should supplement until he's back in a normal range and then see what effect eliminating gluten has on his ability to maintain.    My thought on staggering...
I know damage can be present in celiac, but why?  Is there a particular enzyme or nutrient that would cause damage if it were not present in high enough quantities?
Well, the endoscopy and colonoscopy was normal.    We're thinking we need to build up his iron level before we mess with gluten so that we have a true baseline to go off of.  The GI wants to see him in 3 months and repeat iron tests and tTG (I think/ hope).  If his iron is better and tTG is the same or higher we will trial no gluten.  If his tTG has dropped, iron is better, and behavior has improved I don't know what we'll do.  If iron is better but behavior is not...
Is there anywhere in particular best to get the cell salts or any will do?  Is it the type of thing most health food stores carry?   BTW, I agree with everyone else's recommendation of removal of dairy, soy, and gluten.  FWIW my DS2 (age 6) has a similar history to your DS, although he did have colitis with visible blood in his stool early on which eventually resolved.  But he was anemic for some time regardless of how much iron we supplemented.  Once we got him back in...
I'm approximately 10 days out from a diagnosis, but strongly suspect celiac.  My head is always a step ahead of the moment so I'm starting to think through the practicalities of parenting a child with CD, so I thought I'd start the thread and if it ends up not being something I need to worry about I'll still be educated on the matter and hopefully others will find it useful.  Not sure if this is the best place for this thread but I know there are lots of GF kiddos here. ...
I get it, PB.  I tend toward a prevention frame-of-reference myself so I have been extremely frustrated with docs at this hospital (this GI in particular) in the past.  Now I have reached a point of understanding and agreeing to disagree and go to other sources to get the other side of things.   So with my 3-yr-old DD who is low iron but not anemic I did ask him about that while we were there with DS this week.  He said it is non-anemic iron deficiency.  Didn't offer a...
We haven't eliminated gluten in DS (the one with the elevated tTG) ever for longer than a week or so.  But with DD we have done a 3 month trial off gluten twice and the first one in particular was very strict, but she was only a year old at that point.  She gets tested for CD every year because of her TS and it is always within the normal range.  But then her serum iron was low this month so maybe the symptoms are just starting now?.   And good point to consider on the...