or Connect

Posts by water

Quote: Originally Posted by Kuba'sMama Ds and I are two peas in a pod; quiet, introverted, emotionally reserved, organized. We've had a special bond of the start, I "get" him. I understand his frustration when things are not "perfect". I am able to give him space when he is upset (we're both famous emotion display/hug averters). My dd is my dh (who is my mil). While I love them both dearly, often I am just bewildered and exasparated by their behaviour....
yeah, thanks!
We do maybe 10-15 minutes a week. I think K should be for playing. What my 5yo does do is a wide variety of activities to see what she likes and get her active: dance, skating, art, music, playgroup etc. I don't plan to start scheduled sit-down work with her until she is older, not sure what age that will be. My ds was 7 when we started formal sit-down work and I started with 2nd grade materials and he is now working 2 grades "ahead" so no problems with playing...
I was very tired for years, then I started to eat protein and a lot of it! I also eat no carbs at breakfast , but as big of a meal as I can stomach - 2 eggs and turkey bacon usually. I was vegetarian for years and finally gave it up and feel much much better. I eat as much meat as I can handle, which isn't actually that much, but I try to eat some almost every day. I went from being exhausted all.the.time. to having lost of energy and feeling myself again.
Quote: Originally Posted by folkgirl There really is some decent kids' music out there if you look for it. It's not the only thing my child listens to by far, but I have managed to find enough "good stuff" that when I do listen it's not unpleasant for me. Some of the Putamayo CDs are ok, and I've found exactly one other CD I was willing to listen to, but we have played it way too many times now... I dislike the dumbed-down music that is out...
I just won't listen to crap. So that rules out most kids music right there! I listen to almost all my music with the kids around. The only thing I censor is the hard-core gangster rap and some of the death metal. My 5yo loves to shock people and I don't want her to hear the n-word yet, because she doesn't have the maturity to understand why we don't say it and why it hurts people, so we will leave that conversation for later. The death metal I love and think is...
I have a fat mom, who got bigger and smaller over the years, and I am of average weight and have no body image issues at all. I've been thinking about this issue as my in-laws and dh have huge body image issues and trying to figure out what my mom did right. I've come up with this: I have never ever known how much my mom weighs, or if she's on a diet or not or if she feels fat or not. Weight was never even mentioned in my house ever. We owned a scale, but I think it...
Yes, my gifted 5yo as always been very independent. She would nurse to get tired and then squirm away from me in order to sleep in her own space. I have a video from when she was 2.5 months old, since no one would believe me without it, but she was propped up sitting in a highchair (couldn't sit independently yet) and playing with one of those busy-box things, like pull the handle spin the dial push the button, and frowning at it and very carefully doing all the...
Quote: Originally Posted by ChristaN 1) Play-based K and then the gifted program in 1st if the gifted program is truly a differentiated program that meets the need of varying degrees of giftedness. There are two? three? gifted full-time magnet schools in the district that look promising, the only problem I see with them now is that they stress keeping the "cohort" together, and I've gathered that the work they do is 1-2 grade levels ahead, so it...
Hi all, I've been a homeschooler up to this point but there is a possibility that I will have to put my kids in school next fall. This will be fine for my older one, he is somewhat advanced but I think they will be able to make accommodations for him in the classroom, and the challenges of transitioning to school will make up for it. My younger one however, worries me. She is eligible to start K next fall, she missed the deadline this fall so she will be an older K to...