or Connect

Posts by KLM99

I have been cosleeping with my 21mo since he was born and he's never been a great sleeper.  Lately he's been tired and cranky in the morning when he wakes up, hasn't been napping well and then has been losing it in the evening.  I just don't think he's getting good sleep.  He sleeps from about 8pm-1am and then wakes up to nurse a few times between 1am and 4am.  Then he sleeps until about 7am, but somewhat restlessly.    Any ideas for getting him to sleep better...
Turns out he was sick all week.  We did finally call the ped last Friday and she diagnosed him with a virus and a bit of an ear infection and sent us back home to sleep more :)  He's all better now except for a snotty nose.  I hate when they're sick!
My 16mo has had a high fever (almost 103), dry cough, lethargy, irritability and has been refusing food/drink (he nurses like a champ still) - this is the fifth day.  His grandma has the flu (I'm pretty sure he got it from her) and she's been knocked out for a week, so this seems like a particular bad one.  Everywhere I read says if the fever continues past 3 or 4 days to call the pediatrician.  Since we're on the fifth day of this, should I go ahead and go to the...
   This is huge for me too.  We're starting to do some of them with my 3yo and she has had a really tough time with them.  Much easier to do vaccines on a younger child.  Not that that makes it better, but something to think about.
     Agreed that all this is much much easier with a 3.5yo.  I'm reading this thread intently because I'll probably need this advice in a few years when my old tricks aren't working :)
Mine is only 3.5, but I just have to repeat why we don't eat sweets all the time - "our body needs healthy food blah blah blah".  And if you beg, the answer is no.  Period.  Also, we try not to have it in the house.  Like the Halloween candy - that got taken to work the next day.  If it's sitting right there on the shelf, they seem to obsess over it (ha - actually I do too!).
Really good article on this here:   http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/03/magazine/03kindergarten-t.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1   We live in a September 1st cut-off state (have to be 5 by September 1st to start kindergarden), so my son will be almost six by the time he starts (he's late September).  My daughter, however, will have just turned 5 when she stars (she's a late August).  I was started in kindergarden when I was 4.5 (my parents decided to send me early -...
Special "quiet time" box that only comes down when it's quiet time?  Filled with fun things that change every once in a while.  Could be coloring book or craft, audio CD, new story book, or even random kitchen utensils that she's usually not allowed to play with :)
It sounds like you've covered the obvious things - whatever insurance doesn't cover, birth kit, and extra supplies like towels.  Maybe little things like extra utilities cost (I spent most of my first labor in the shower, which I'm sure added significantly to our water bill!  Also, utilities for extra laundry, etc.), gifts for midwives/doulas if you're doing that (and you might feel compelled to after a great birth experience!), food for any attendants (again, midwives...
Thanks for posting these!  I didn't feel like the scarymommy one was that useful for me unfortunately - it really only speaks to the moms who don't enjoy, as she says, playground time and baking.  I'm not answering the door in an apron, but I actually do enjoy baking cupcakes and feel like I could be (and AM when I'm not out at work) the type of mom she says she isn't.    I think one of the main reasons I decided not to be a SAHM was more along the lines of what is...