or Connect

Posts by lairaja

I used to work for a local candle company, and we always stuck used glass candleholders in the freezer for a day. Made it a snap to pry the wax out, then we could wash them and reuse. I've done it at home since then, and use the little jars for serving snacks or drinks. Votive holders make great shot glasses!
I've been no-pooing with twice-weekly BS and ACV washes and rinses, and I see that the BS really strips out the temporary hair color I had in to cover gray. Which is fine, I'm trying to go more natural in every way. BUT, I would like to cover the gray, or at least blend it in more to my dark hair, so I've been checking out henna. My question: will the BS-ACV regimen strip the henna out in the same way? Should I even bother? If henna won't work, does anyone have any other...
babybunching.com seems to be gone! Am I missing something?I really want to check it out. I have a 31 mo DS and a 4 mo DD, and everyday is an adventure. My best general advice is to let go of the idea that you can do everything the same way with #2 as you did with #1. I have had to make a conscious decision to let go of guilt about my daughter not getting my undivided attention, and that my son now has to wait for things I used to anticipate and provide immediately. ...
I am waiting with bated breath for the vinegar-herbal infusion recipe. I have medium brown to dark brown hair and 50% gray, as well. I'm trying no-poo with bs and acv, but I'm not ready to go completely natural with my gray. Since the BS washes my temp color out, I've got about 21 1/2 different shades of hair right now. It ain't pretty. Will a vinegar infusion work with no-poo? Will anything? Or do I have to choose? TIA
Thank you, mamas for your input. We went on a long walk yesterday, working on street safety, and it seemed to make a big difference with the rest of the day. I let DS walk next to me on the sidewalk in our neighborhood, not holding hands, then gave him a warning as we neared intersections. He stopped and said "hold hands" and then crossed the street with me. That little bit of independence seemed to do wonders for him, and we had a great time. As far as a fenced yard, or...
Hello, I am often a lurker in this forum, and am looking for some ideas for how to handle some safety issues with my 2.5 yo DS. I discovered Unconditional Parenting on this forum, and DP and I are really embracing it whole-heartedly. It just feels right to us. That being said... I do not know how to handle some of the normal safety issues that are coming up with DS in an UP kind of way. For example: 1) Walking outside our yard onto the sidewalk then darting into the...
Hello all! I am back as a living and learning new mama to say thanks for all the advice, I hope I can now pass it on! My amazing son Shane Morgan was born 10/18/07 at home, after a 17 hour labor, 5 of which was pushing! Whew! It was an amazing experience, and I am now a confirmed advocate of homebirth! Shane has been calm and alert from the moment he was born, and while some of it must be personality, I attribute so much of it to his peaceful birth experience. I look...
Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement, Mamas! I'll keep you updated!
I guess I've gained a little too much weight so far, and my blood-sugar is higher than she would like, so my MW told me Saturday she wants me to go on a low-carb diet. She used the words Atkins, which sort of freaked me out, and after checking out what Atkins really means, I am worried that it is going to be too restrictive. So, my question is: has anyone else been on a restricted carb diet while pregnant, and if so, what sort of guidelines did you follow? How many...
I am also about 30 weeks, so I don't really want to recommend mine but she is so fantastic I can't help it - check out: http://www.hummingbirdmidwifery.com. Her back-up Hilary also has a great reputation. I also hear wonderful things about Jennifer West. She is a leader in the midwifery community here, and I have a friend who had two homebirths with Jenny as her MW. Hope this helps!