or Connect

Posts by pranava

Love this thread!  Thank you all for sharing.  There are some cool kids and wise mamas on this board.   Hearing your stories, especially all the changes of direction and schooling that your kids have gone through really helps.  It's so easy to get caught up in the immediate future when you have a little one.  Often I feel like the kindergarten I choose for DS4 will set his life path in stone for better or worse.  Obviously it will not, and your stories help to ease my...
My 4 1/2 year old sounds just like your DD.  He started reading at 2 and can now read nearly anything put in front of him, but mostly he won't. He is also a perfectionist, but not a determined perfectionist.  He gives up at the first sign of difficulty or failure. His eyes don't have the stamina for much sustained reading yet, and at night when we do most of our reading, he is just too tired to focus.  He will read any signs around him, things on the tv, and computer...
newmamalizzy - Just wanted to sympathize.   I'm in the same boat with my 4.5 year old.  It does seem like the half year marks amp up the defiant behavior.  This opositional attitude has been going on with my DS since before 2.  Each situation ends faster if I stay calm, but Lord!  I cannot stay calm anymore!  He does have some sensory issues - both seeking and avoiding behaviors that make things worse.   We also have the independence issue, or lack of independence...
Yes, as long as no one is coming down.  His Physical Therapist encourages this as a way to build foot and leg muscle strength.
  This is exactly why I came to this thread.  My DS is mostly a sensation avoider and his list of foods is growing shorter as time goes on.  I don't have any idea how to increase his range of foods.  Cooking separate meals is getting so old, but it's really the only option.  And I've heard the "If he's hungry he'll eat what you make"  and this statement is just not true.  He barely weighs over 30 pounds at 4 1/2 years old.  I lose patience with him over this food issue....
  Upset with myself and the situation.  I must be doing something wrong.  It doesn't seem to matter how patient, explanatory, playful I am.  My son does not take me seriously until I've totally had it, and then I yell, and he just thinks I'm being mean to him and can't remember why I'm angry.     Today, brushing his teeth before bed he clenches his teeth, pushes the toothbrush away with his tongue, spits at me - all while laughing. (This has been a daily struggle...
You are doing great, Grover!  Just keep it up.  She may like starfall.com if she likes to use the computer.
I did teach the basic letter sounds, and did some explaining of silent e here and there, but mostly my DS seemed to intuit phonics.  He learned that ph says "f" and cious says "shus" by looking at the words in picture books as I read.  If a kid can understand and apply phonics without explicitly taught rules, I think it makes for a more fluid learning process.  I do see where he could bomb a phonics test because he is unable to articulate the rule, but I'm not concerned...
  All of that above.   And another thought - I was quite the lazy teenager when it came to household chores.  In fact, any chore my parents tried to make me do, I detested even more.  Now I am a hard working, house cleaning, organizing, neat freak (that stays up all night on my lap top.)  He does sound depressed, but not doing his chores, or not doing as he's told at 14 does not lock in his future behavior.  The teenage years are about experimenting with your identity....
I admit that I have very little exposure to the game, but my niece and nephew are addicted.  It's a fight to get them to stop playing and while they  play they talk about killing zombies  and dying and shooting.  My 4 year old watched my nephew play for an hour one day and it took nearly 2 weeks to get him to stop talking about shooting things and dying.  It's not something I would intentionally introduce to a  6 year old.  That is my only exposure to this game though,...