or Connect

Posts by pranava

I can't remember where, but I've read a few articles on kids who were considered borderline gifted, IQ 125-130.  Those that participated in gifted programs and were encouraged to advance academically actually increased their IQ score through high school.  Students who did not participate in gifted programs and chose not to take the more advanced classes in school, did not increase their IQ scores like the other students.    This either shows the faultiness of the test,...
Enjoying these!       BIG sigh from DS, then "I am sooooo sick of gravity (sigh again)  I wan't to float around!"   He is so dramatic.
It's March 1st and spring will soon be here!  Yay   So what is everyone up to now?     I know there are many posts around here about struggles with schools providing the right opportunity for kiddos.  In light of those posts, I am feeling super lucky right now!  I though I'd share the positive experience I had with DS's preschool this morning.    DS is about to turn 4, and I asked if he could be moved to from the preschool to the elementary school for...
Awe, I feel for her.    I had a few of those moments myself as a kid.  It's good that she has sibs and parents who "get" her - so important.
Not at all, Katico!  I love to hear stories about what other kids are doing.  I find it interesting that so many precocious kids have similar interests.  We are currently watching Bill Nye the science guy planets.  DS loves Bill Nye!!!!  You shoud check him out for your DD, sounds like she might be into it too.   Funny things he's said "Ouch, Mom! I sat on a giant hot gas ball that burned my butt!  Can you guess what that is, Mom?"  That would be the sun...
I usually say my child is reading bob books, or easy readers, or at this grade level when posting on forums like this.  I don't tell anyone IRL for various reasons.  No, he can't pick up a high school text and read it, but he can pick up a frog and toad book and read and understand it.  So, I consider that a reader - at the second grade level :)   There's also some kind of eye tracking visual maturity needed to fluently read.  Big print is easy for DS to follow from...
    LOL!!  Exactly!!  sometimes I think that if his brain doesn't explode from all this, then mine will :)
Hi and Welcome Katico!   I really like the book "The Explosive Child"  It may be a little early to apply all of it to your younger child, but I found it very helpful in creating understanding and compassion in me for my child's outbursts.  And my DS has been an emotional tornado too.  He is never happy or sad, but rather ecstatic or devastated :)   I found these wooden number dominoes -...
DS will be 4 in a couple of months and hasn't mastered pedaling a tricycle.  He can almost get it on a couple we've tried at the store, but he's too big for the fold n go radio flyer we have at home.  I want to get him something he can succeed in pedaling so he will have more fun and I can stop breaking my back pushing him.  Any suggestions for a super easy to pedal trike for a bigger kid?  Has anyone has a schwinn roadster? I think if he could just get going he would...
Yeah, I was looking for what is considered 2 standard deviations below those milestones.  I know he is not meeting milestones, but if not being able to ride a tricycle at 4 years old is only 1.5 standard deviations below the norm, he won't qualify for help from the school system.  I'm struggling to find charts that give that kind of specific information.