or Connect

Posts by pranava

Thanks!  But sadly, the link is not working for me  :(    Does that link work for anyone else? Maybe it's just my computer.
Where can I find a chart showing the mean age for motor skills and age ranges for 1 or 2 standard deviations below this mean?   I know this is what the OT and PT's do when they evaluate for delays, but I'd like to be able to look at this myself.  An independent OT and PT have said my DS (almost 4) is 1 to 2 SD below mean in motor skills.  Some skills are better and some less developed.  Private OT and PT are too costly.  DS is being evaluated by the public school...
I'm not sure how to handle this appropriately and effectively.  DS 3.5 years old becomes so aggitated and upset when someone says something that is incorrect or says it incorrectly.  He shouts at 2 year old to adults, " NO!  It's not XXX it's XXX!"  It's not like he's trying to seem right or smarter than them, he just can't handle the imperfection.  I don't know how to ease his anxiety and get him to stop correcting others.  He even corrects the pronunciation of 2 year...
Thought I'd start this thread for the end of 2012 to see what everyone is up to       I'm excited to share that DS 3.5 has moved out of a not so good daycare environment and on to Preschool!  This is his 2nd day and things seem to be going well so far.  I was already greeted by the teacher saying that he was reading for her and she asked if he would like to read their morning story to the class.  This is a good sign as he would not read for his previous daycare...
    He does not know that I'm questioning anything.  I told him that what she did was wrong and mean, I'm glad he told me, and he does not have to go back.    It's not his creditbility I'm questioning.  He doesn't lie on purpose, but he's 3.5 and doesn't always get his story straight.  He will combine events from 4 different days and think they happened all at once - and then add in that a giraffe came by and flew him to Mars.  He makes stuff up all the time.  His...
Does anyone know what happens when the state investigates a claim?  I wonder if the other parents will be contacted?  I have contact info for some, and I'm wondering if I should tell them, or let the state do their thing.
A little over a year ago, my ds, then 2.5 started saying the daycare provider slapped his cheek or spanked him in the head.   When I asked about it, daycare provider said, she would tap the kids in the head sometimes as she walked down the hallway to let them know she was there and needed to get by.  I thought that was an odd thing to do, but after that conversation with her, DS stopped mentioning being hit.    I thought, well DS is sensitive and tends to exagerate. ...
I don't have any specific advice, but I really liked the book "the Explosive Child."  It's not so much a discipline guide, but it focuses on determining what skills a child is lacking that are causing the maladaptive behavior.  The basic premise is that children want to do well, and will do well if they can.  Explosive children cannot be punished into behaving, or disciplined into behaving.  Punishment and discipline do not teach the social and emotional skills that...
    Learning to read not fun?  Try to tell that to my DS who at 10 months would chase me down the hall speed crawling while pushing a book.  He did learn to read early, even though I hid all his books for weeks at a time because I could no longer stand reading them.  Try to get him to jump, climb, and make mud pies, and he'll act like you're trying to torture him.  Every kid is different.   What really suprises me, is how many kids here seem to be reading, and...
My DS was 7lb 9 oz, was rooting from the second he was put on my chest and latched on in less than 5 minutes.  He nursed every hour and a half from then on (till he weaned it seems like) .  He spit up a ton, but I think that's cuz he was a little glutton :)   No problems here!  He is my only and I feel very lucky to have had that experience.    Good luck to you!  I hope you have an easy time of it.