or Connect

Posts by ssh

It sounds like you have given in just to make him quieter. If that's the case, giving in because of unpleasant behavior reinforces that behavior. Following you and banging on the door sounds like an attack. I have told my 5.5 year old that it's alright to be angry but it's not ok to be mean or rude to people. In your DS's case I'd find a time when he's calm and talk to him about how banging on stuff when he knows the noise hurts your ears is being mean, then talk about...
I talk a lot about possible social natural consequences of behavior with my 5.5 year old DD. She's very outgoing and wants other kids to like and play with her. Any time she's rude or doesn't respect others personal space, I point it out and we talk about how other people might react to the behavior. We've been doing this this since she was 3 and we've always talked about why some behaviors are a bad or good idea. I agree that not talking about expected social behaviors...
I would say "food is for eating, paint is for smearing" and give very small portions. At that age our DD played with something messy once or twice a day, at least. You can make a plate for your child and give her 2 or 3 pieces of food off of it at a time and put her in her own seat before she gets food on you. If a child is hungry at all they are less likely to throw a piece of food if there is only one to three pieces of food in front of them. When she eats the food, you...
This. Some kids are just more emotional or dramatic. It's a temperament issue.  
We gave really small portions and made sure our DD had messy play time each day. In the sink with water and plastics, mud outside or finger paint in the high chair. As long as she had plenty of messy play she was much neater with food. I'd also say food is for eating, mud/paint/etc. is for being messy.
Sounds like you did fine.
I'm sorry, we were co-sleeping and DD was still nursing to sleep at that age, so I don't have advice on what will work. If your DD is learning new skills, learning to walk for example, or getting teeth, especially her canines both of those things can really disrupt sleep patterns. If the disruption is from learning a new skill or painful teething her sleep issues could clear up on their own after her teeth are in or she's proficient at the new skill. Also occasionally...
Here's the James Mckenna website with several articles http://nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/index.html . Here are links to studies on normal sleep patterns http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/sleepstudies.html . Here's another article http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detsleepthrough.html .
Sometimes you can get a baby gate to work if there's enough room between the glass door and the screen one.
With most horribly annoying behavior you can just tell yourself "It's just a phase. It will go away" over and over again, because most annoying age related behaviors do just go away. LOs go through periods of annoying phases then periods of pleasant calmness usually about every 6 months or so. 2 is often just a difficult year though. One of my least favorite phases was a period of bossiness. We just calmly repeated, broken record style, "that sounds bossy, being bossy is...