or Connect

Posts by ssh

My DD is 4. I don't really have many things I just have to go to, so we just don't do separations if my DD becomes upset. If I walk out of the door and she starts to cry I come back. I'm still able to usually leave her with my DH if I want, but the times it doesn't work we just change our plans. Parents can stay with their children at our co-op preschool, so I have stayed for part of the time a couple of days. Also she's woken up a couple of times upset that she didn't...
I think your DD is too young for either method. Saying "owie that hurts, be gentle" and then touching your DD gently while saying it is more age appropriate. You can put her down if you're holding her and say "I don't let people hurt me" but then pick her back up if she asks. The walking away to another room or putting her away in her room could give her the idea that you only like/love her when she is nice. You can show gentle disapproval of violent behavior without...
Read Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Kurcinka. Kids Parents and Power Struggles is a good book too. Intense high energy toddlers can be a lot more fun if you understand their temperaments.
We didn't take my DD out to restaurants for about a year starting at 22 months. She just had too much energy and curiosity for that type of environment. And we just have the one LO. The lady who recommended you use violence on your children deserved worse than your reaction.
Quote: Originally Posted by mamaofthree so the general consensus is to either yell in their face or yell at them, show the disgust at them and then put them in time out. not sure this is effective. Hey, not me. I said we talk to my DD, 4 years old, about her rude behavior when she's calmer. Sometimes I suggest she go to her room until she feels like being with people. If she actually spit in my face I'd say "oooo, gross. That was really rude."...
I ask my DD if she needs to go before bed, but I've never made an issue of it. She's never had an accident at night. We don't leave the house in the morning if she hasn't gone to the bathroom so she does have to go before preschool, but she's never complained about it.
We discuss rude behavior with my 4 year DD when she is calm. She's very social and cares about how other people feel about her so I focus on how other people respond to rudeness and how our behavior and choices are an expression of what kind of person we want to be. We've been dealing with yelling and being bossy lately, so we talk about how she would feel if people yelled at her or rudely ordered her to do stuff. Then we talk about what other people might think of us if...
I noticed no one has replied yet. You may want to post in the 'learning at school' forum. My DD is 4 and seems to behave worse if she is tired or right before she comes down with a cold. She still loves preschool, she just can't keep her manners in place. Is your DS in kindergarten or preschool? Also when is his birthday? The first school sounds like it was really just awful. With the second one, maybe something specific happened or he wasn't feeling well last week. Can...
My DD was 4 in November. She sleeps 10 hours a night. She gave up naps at 26 months. If she's got a cold she can sleep 12 to 14 hours.
The restless behavior and night time gymnastics sound more like a sleep issue than a nursing issue. I used to tell my DD that if it hurt I couldn't give her milk. Just tell your DS you can't give him milk if it hurts and then stop if it does say "owie" and try again. When you get sore, tell him it hurts too much and stop until your aren't sore any more. It may take awhile for him to understand but he will if you're consistent. My DD never nursed if it was in an...