or Connect

Posts by JuniperBCN

Hi Tanya,   I'm homeschooling in Barcelona.... Educar en Familia is the right link for connecting with the Catalan homeschooling community, but the English part of the page isn't well maintained as we are all volunteer run.  If you would like to contact me, I can explain what activities exist in Barcelona. Next week we have a few meetups where you could make contact with a variety of families.  While the majority are Catalan, we actually have quite a few international...
Our situation is different to yours, but we are a tri-lingual unschooling family in an area with a lot of families with a variety of languages.  My kids are now 4 and 7 and are fully operational for communicating in the three languages that we speak in our home, Catalan, Spanish and English.  Out in the world, we are surrounded by the first two.  DH and I speak to them in our mother tongues (Catalan and English) and speak Spanish to each other.  Our home has ALWAYS been...
As far as I know, I haven't got any gluten issues, but I started with the spelt bread recipe because I'm not sure how well gluten sits with my DD and I know a lot of people with gluten issues who can tolerate spelt and also that the fermentation from sourdough is supposed to make it easier to digest.  The recipe is pretty easy, so maybe it's worth a try to see how it feels?  I'm in Spain and can't get a lot of the flours used in gluten free baking, so haven't pushed it....
It's basically just a 2:1 H20/Millet ratio.     I use it a lot, typically saute onions and garlic, add some grated veggies (carrot, zucchini, tomato) and let it all kind of blend together to a sort of jammy texture, throw in a cup or two of millet and the add the corresponding amount of water or broth if I have it, cover it and let it cook over low heat.  I often garnish with a big handful of chopped fresh herbs.  The leftovers often get a few beaten eggs stirred in,...
I started making no-knead several years ago and it's the only bread in our house... I actually do it with sourdough that I made following these instructions on the first try:  http://www.breadtopia.com/make-your-own-sourdough-starter/ and started off by using the recipes from there.  I make a 80/20% spelt/white combo every week, oatmeal/walnut/raisin, 60/40% white/kamut, and rye regularly and I often just sort of start inventing now that I have a good sense of what...
Hola!   You read different things because it isn't legal but it isn't really illegal either.  Whether you have problems or not depends a bit on luck and which part of Spain you are in.  Usually the worst case scenario is that Social Services are called because of absenteeism and they come to investigate for signs of neglect or abuse, don't find anything and the case is closed.  Here in Catalunya, we have a strong regional group which works to "normalize" our...
I'm interested in what responses you get.  Our whole family seems to fall within this 2%, with oldest DS being sensory seeking while I look to avoid.  I'm also a teacher, so going out to work doesn't really give me a chance to recharge either.  We unschool, something that came about because I realised early on that DS really resents direction.  This doesn't mean that he doesn't learn and I am sure as you have more time to get used to your home-ed life, you'll observe a...
Here in Spain, if you are a legal resident, you are technically obliged to follow Spanish law for the education of your child regardless of your nationality.  Homeschooling is not legally protected here and we justify it through some legal loopholes.  Sometimes it backfires for some families.  I feel fairly secure and get the feeling that my status as an American makes it socially easier, with people out and about less likely to question our choice.
It does get worse and I can't count the number of times I've squinted over student essays trying to figure out what's written (I teach English to adults)! It's strange to me because this is what preschoolers start learning to write with here. It's even more fun to try and figure out what kids are writing as they apply their own, different, phonetics with squiggly, wobbly, different letters... I had to decipher several holiday cards my kids' friends wrote while the child...
My 6 yo LOVES stories in all forms.  There is no way we could possibly read to him all the hours he wants and lately he's really loving storynory.  We've tried librivox as well, but the recording quality is pretty varied.  I'm looking for some updated ideas on websites that have good quality, interesting, secular audiobooks for free.  If they could be downloaded onto our iPod, even better!   I've been searching through the archives and keep coming across posts that are...