or Connect

Posts by Vancouver Mommy

Hi Miranda,   Apparently all BC students with a personal education number may apply. Here's some more info. The course descriptions look quite fun.   http://www.vsb.bc.ca/glsp  
My dd (7) has been accepted to the VSB Gifted/Challenge program for the summer and I'm feeling torn. It's three weeks long from 9 to noon. Although she really wants to go and I'm happy she'll have the opportunity to nurture her love of math and science, I also am a bit reluctant to have her sitting in a classroom for so much of the summer.   Does anybody have any personal experience with this program? I'd love to hear what you thought and how your child enjoyed it.
We recently had norovirus and the literature says that a person remains contagious for 48-72 hours after symptoms are completely gone. We kept dd home well after she was feeling better.  
I'm sorry Santa brought the neighbour's kid Baby Butterscotch and he only brought you a Wii. Next year you're going to volunteer at a soup kitchen and then maybe you'll appreciate all the priviliges and luxuries you have. OMG I feel like such a failure for not teaching you gratitude and humility.  
My 7yo dd would LOVE blacksmithing lessons. If she's still interested when she's big enough to wield a large hammer, I'll make it happen. We take her to Bby Heritage Village and she's absolutely enthralled with the blacksmith.
I used to think an artificial tree was better for the environment, but I've since changed my mind on that. Artificial trees are made of nasty chemicals and off-gas in your home for several years, whereas real trees (even though their lives are short) provide oxygen to the environment for the time they are alive and growing. I also like to support local farmers who rely on Christmas trees for income. The downside is that they are quite expensive, but I really enjoy the...
My 5.5 yo ds needs between 10 and 10.5 hrs. He has always needed considerably less sleep than his 7yo sister, who still needs closer to 11 or even a bit more. They go to bed at the same time, but he's always up longer piddling about in his bedroom and he usually rises first too. I think he takes after his father in this regard, who is a complete night owl.  
This year I got DH tix to Cirque de Soliel. He'll love it. It cost a bit more than I wanted to spend, but for the first time in a long time I found something that will both surprise him and make him happy, so it's all good. He's always the hardest to shop for, so not having to wander around all confused and stressed out on December 23rd is going to be fabulous.  
Hi Jammie,   Welcome and congratulations on your upcoming birth. I think you'll find lots of other young moms around here. And lots of old ones like me!
I remember a time when my dd was 3 and we were at an indoor playgroup. I looked over from the other side of the room and she was hanging upside down from the monkey bars in a dress and no panties. She must have dressed herself that day, but I lunged across the room pretty fast. So I guess I'm just happy when she has underwear on.