or Connect

Posts by NiteNicole

I don't have any ideas but I'd love to hear what he finally chooses.
You are allowed to change your mind.  You "agreed" to something neither of you had any idea about.  It might make him "sad" but what does it do to you?    I'm guessing you're fairly young.  My best advice is agree to wait a year and then talk about it again.  It's not no forever, it's just not right now.  In a year, you might feel entirely different.   My daughter cried and threw up non stop for her first year or so.  She didn't sleep through the night until she was...
I think it's gross and an EXCELLENT way to spread illness.   As with anything I was trying to teach my daughter not to do (pulling hair, playing with glasses), I would just reach over and remove her hands while saying, "We are trying to teach her not to do this," and let that be the end of it.  It would drive me nuts when people would let her play with their glasses because a. I'm not paying for them if she drops and breaks them and b. I don't want her playing with...
Great, thanks!
I think it was challenging because the Narnia books are (sorry, fans!) a little boring as compared to Harry Potter, esp if you've read HP first. I was in my 30s when I started reading the Harry Potter books and I enjoyed them very much so I decided to find other children's books I might enjoyed. The first thing everyone suggests is the Narnia series and I personally found them kind of dull. I guess when I say "challenge" I mean it's just a slower pace and the language...
We had the same experience. After watching the movies, she wanted to read the books. HP was a pretty easy read and is very accessible to second graders. The first Narnia book was such a challenge she gave up.
I think a lot depends on how your school and your kid's teacher handles AR.    My daughter has had point and specific grade level goals (it was really hard finding mid 4th grade books interesting to a six/seven year old).  She might want to read Clementine and the Mouse and the Motorcycle like other kids in her class, but she has to read on a higher level or it brings her average down and as it's part of her reading grade, she can't drag her average down.  I've spoken to...
AR is Accelerated Reader. It's a program that's very popular in our area. The kids take quizzes to determine their reading range and then choose books to read independently. They take quizzes on the books for points. A goal is assigned by the teacher. Some kids love it and rise to the challenge. My kid hates it even though she does well. Thanks for all of those recommendations. I'll add them to my library holds! Please forgive typos. I can't find my glasses!
My daughter is also eight.  She's supposed to be reading upper 4th to mid-5th grade books for AR.  It has been a SLOG this year.  She just isn't interested.  The only book she's blasted through was The Witches by Roald Dahl and it's been hard to help her find anything similar - scary and funny and a bit gross.  She loves non-fiction but for AR, she needs more novels.  Her goal (points) keeps getting higher and she still wants to read little books she can finish quickly. ...
I'll be that person. I have a pretty easy 8yo. No back talk, no tantrums, not contrary. Doesn't fight homework, pretty easy to get along with. She can be emotional and anxious but she's not defiant or argumentative. It's not my rock star parenting skills, it's just her personality. I think it helps tremendously that she's an only and there aren't other kids in the mix all the time. She and I are also pretty similar in our need for activity v downtime so neither one of us...