or Connect

Posts by chaimom

My son has done the AoPS pre-algebra and algebra online.  Even if you don't sign up for the classes, you can do alcumus.  Some of the problems are purposely too hard for kids to solve.  The point is to teach them persistence.  
Fantastic!  So happy for your son (and you!)
My son also took the Explore in 4th grade.  My advice is to not make a big deal out of it, and don't study at all.  My son took the practice test about a week before, so he was familiar with the format, plus I read him the instructions (you're supposed to guess if you don't know the answer!  But he refused to do that because, he wanted to be "precise, " in his words.)     My son likes tests, and was thrilled to know this would have questions he might not know the answers...
I can't interpret the scores for you, but such a wide disparity makes me wonder about a learning disability.  If I were you I would have her privately tested to see what might be going on and get some expert recommendations.    The other avenue to pursue regarding the school is to get her classified as 2E (twice exceptional= gifted, plus a learning disability) by your district.  It's illegal for the school to discriminate based on a disability, so your dd might be...
My son is a DYS. We just had the testing and didn't do portfolio, so I can't answer specifically.  Have you searched the Davidson forums?  I know the issue comes up quite often.     My understanding from those boards is that you'll have a better chance if you have at least one of the tests they're asking for, whether it's an IQ or Achievement. But you could always call or email and ask their advice.
The kid is 3-4 years older than yours and is occasionally purposely mean or just obnoxious.  I don't think that's a normal play-mate situation and I don't think you're under any obligation to let your kids play with him.  Just gently but firmly tell him your kids can't play today.  Tell your kids it's not the right time to play with him. Repeat, repeat, repeat.   We have a neighbor boy who used to be really mean to my boys (although they're the same age).  I would...
Based on this thread, I bought one too-- and it really works!  Shocker.  Usually these things are  a scam. You do have to go through the hair really slowly, but it combs through hair like butter.  But dd hates getting her hair combed so much that she won't admit she likes it, but last night after her bath she asked me to use it instead of the regular brush.  (BTW: She has fine, wavy blonde hair, but tons of it, so a thick head of fine hair that tangles almost instantly...
  I don't understand what you mean by this.  If they're more average, your children are more likely to succeed?     I think its highly possible your children could be gifted.  But I agree with the previous poster to choose a neighborhood you like with a good quality school (check great schools.com) and then just be a good parent who provides appropriate stimulation and experiences for your children. It's more than likely your kids will be fine in public school.
I really disliked the advice in Siblings without Rivalry.  I read it when the twins were probably 6 (they're 10 now), but some of the advice was to let your children say they hate each other. That's not OK with me. Much of the other advice was to stay out of their fights.  I agree with that in principal, but when kids are little, it's important to explain to them how to handle disagreements.   I'm sure there's good stuff in the book, but the advice I disagree with sticks...
  Bad behavior and giftedness are two separate issues.   I don't see why he didn't face a consequence for yelling, storming off and carrying on for 40 minutes.  I agree with your husband.  I would have sent him to his room until he was ready to do the assignment (not for the whole night), but I certainly wouldn't have let him yell and fuss at me.  I also would have let him get the assignment wrong if he felt so strongly about knowing the correct answer.  You told him what...