or Connect

Posts by chaimom

I would see a doctor, too.  But first, I would offer him water before he eats and throughout the day.  My 5yo dd carries a water bottle with her everywhere.   Maybe he's actually thirsty, but doesn't know what that feeling is?    
My boys are in 4th grade and I love this year! They're so mature and love to sit around the dinner table and talk.  They remember to say please and thank you, and tell me when they appreciate things!! :)  My boys have been in the same school since K, so I know most of the 4th graders. In school, one of my boys discusses "the good kids" and the "rowdy kids."  I'm surprised by some of the kids who've migrated into the rowdy category, and I'm surprised by some of them now...
I have twin boys and one of my boys had the picky issue you describe.  For example, he would get really upset if I wore certain clothes, and when we updated his bed spread when he was 2 1/2, he was hysterical about it.  (Sadly, my mother had made the new quilts and was there to witness his meltdown!)  I just comforted him and in the case of the quilt, we waited until he was ready.  For my clothes, I just said, "I'm sorry it upsets you, but they're my clothes and this is...
My dd just tested as HG and she is renowned in our social group for her passions, so I don't think your son sounds unusual at all. I wish you lived near us because she'd love to go birding with your son!  She carries around the Audubon book of birds and has binoc's to make sure she spots them in our urban area.  (She found a red-tailed hawk!) She plans to own a bird rescue organization when she's older (among other things).  She also loves and knows tons about horses and...
My twin boys are 9 and we have a similar problem, only one boy is accelerated in a highly gifted program and the other is in a traditional classroom.  My traditional boy had trouble reading starting in K and we finally had him diagnosed for a learning issue at the beginning of 2nd grade.  The teachers kept telling us not to compare the boys, but I knew they were just as smart as each other, and couldn't figure out why my one son had so much trouble learning to read and...
First of all, your dd is still 5 and in 1st grade?  In our area, that would make her on the young side for kindergarten.  I'm wondering if your dd is doing work that's too difficult, or requires her to focus more than she's capable of at her age.       What is it the teacher wants you to have her evaluated for? If the teacher suspects some kind of learning issue, you can request in writing that the school evaluate her for learning issues.  But it sounds like the...
Wow.  That's disgusting.  I think I would have said to the mom, "Excuse me, but did you know your dd is blowing her snot all over the play equipment where other kids can get in contact with her germs?" And waited for her to get up and do something about it.  And if the child blew her snot ON my child-- wow.  Beyond unacceptable.  I would have hollered over to the mom, "Your dd just blew her snot on my child's face!  Will you please come get her and help her blow her nose...
I'm not very interested in my kids' music or tv shows or video games either.  But I'm honored that want to share it with me.  Even if you don't like it, I think you should reconsider your attitude about it.  You're not watching the shows for entertainment, obviously-- you're watching them to bond with your kids. They're letting you into their lives and passions.  That's a privilege I hope you take advantage of.   As for the food.  Where are they getting all the junk...
That's exactly what happened to us. The teacher stalled and put off my concerns until RTI was adopted in our district, and then when I requested an evaluation, I was told my son could go into RTI.  At that point, we had private testing done because the RTI involved "gathering evidence" for 6 weeks, then having him meet for 15 minutes here and there with a teachers aid who quizzed him on phonics.  Once we had private testing results, it still didn't get him anything more...
This has been an issue in our house, only it's between twin boys.  One of them is highly gifted, his brother is gifted and dyslexic.  My hg boy read his first book at 3 1/2.  My dyslexic boy (we didn't know it at the time), entered kindergarten telling his teacher he was afraid he would never learn to read. And at that time he couldn't even write his name.  He wasn't diagnosed until the beginning of 2nd grade, at which point he still couldn't read, while his brother was...