or Connect

Posts by chaimom

I second the recommendation to read everything you can on Wrightslaw.com.  Search IEPs and you'll learn an amazing amount.     Does your school use RTI as its intervention method?  If so, your dd should be getting intervention already; she shouldn't simply be failing.    The school should be trying different methods to get her help.  I would email the teacher, principal and special ed person at your school to say you suspect a learning disability and that you request...
I'm old school, I guess, according to the answers here.  Apparently people on mothering.com swear a lot.  I don't and neither do the people I work with or am friends with.  I don't think swearing is cool or interesting or adorable when toddlers or kids do it.     My kids don't swear because neither my dh nor I swear.  There are so many words in the English language that could describe our feelings at any given time, it's really unnecessary to resort to swearing as a...
Are you yelling at your kids?  Loud enough for people walking by to hear?   If it's completely untrue, I don't think you should worry about it. Could be some kook.  I think if you're yelling a lot, you should consider getting help.   I don't think yelling at kids is appropriate either.   
The music store where my kids have lessons is like that, too.  They have toys for sale: stuffed animals, music boxes, music-related doodads that attract every kid.  Once the worker was super rude to my kids for touching things-- he said he wouldn't be able to sell a stuffed animal because my dd's germy hands had been on it!!  He literally said that to a 2 1/2 year old who was just browsing calmly.  I called the owner later, who stuck up for the work, and said he didn't...
It's your business how you style your son's hair. The truth is, most boys have short hair, so it's just a fact that people will think he's a girl.  There's no reason to be upset about it.   One of my boys had longish hair until he was about 3 because he had wavy hair that I thought was too cute to cut.  People always thought he was a girl because he had long hair and his eyelashes are really long, too!  (He was adorable.) But he's cute with short hair too.   His...
My dd has an extra front tooth that hasn't come in yet, but within the next year we'll be dealing with an extraction and braces. (She's only 6!) Her baby teeth are loose now, but they want them to fall out before they remove the extra tooth so that the roots aren't damaged to the developing adult teeth.    I'm upset about it too.  But here's the thing.  It's NOT a major deformity.  It's correctable.  Kids don't really notice things like that at such a young age....
I worked until 34 1/2 weeks, started having contractions at 35 weeks, so I went on bedrest for a week.  Then my doc said it would be OK to have them after 36 weeks, so I went off bedrest, but they didn't come until 38 weeks.  
I don't have a problem with it if regular friends aren't excluded.  But the fact that your son is her BFF makes it not OK.  FWIW, when my twin boys were 4, they were invited to a princess party for their best girl friend.  They were the only boys there and they got to be knights.  There are ways to include boys if the mom wants to.  I think it's a shame she let this happen.   That said, last year, at age 9, was the first time girls weren't invited to my sons parties....
I'll bet if you raise the expectations for your 9 year old, she'll step it up.  That's my experience anyway.  I have 9-yo twins who will aso be 10 in May. And we have a 5 yo dd.  I think it's natural for kids to think the world revolves around them and that we're there to serve them.  But I try to keep their expectations in check by making sure they all have chores and that the chores get done. (Nothing big-- feeding the dog, putting away their laundry, setting and...
I think your gut is telling you something more than a twin issue is going on and I agree.  My 5-year-old dd has been safe with markers since she was 2. And she would never just destroy something.  Like with your previous children, I've never locked things up. And my twin boys who are 9 now were never destroyers either.  Active, yes, but destroyers, no. And I didn't lock anything with them except the toilet (and I have no idea if that would have been an issue-- I did it...