or Connect

Posts by chaimom

I would go for a skip, too.  My son was offered a skip last year, but he essentially chickened out (that, plus the principal at the new school was a real dud for gifted kids), and he's back to his regular grade.  He is ALREADY (the first week) frustrated by the slow pace and lack of opportunity to learn.  I wish we would have forced him to skip because I'm afraid we have a long, long year ahead of us, even though he gets to take an accelerated online math class.  But...
Perhaps the reason fewer parents are using the library, especially in such an affluent area, is because there are other ways of accessing books nowdays.  All three of my kids have their own Kindles and read on their Kindles.  My dd is only 6 and prefers reading from the Kindle or ipad because she can enlarge the type.  She's a very advanced reader and the large type makes it  easier on her.  Also, we have our own library of hundreds of childrens' books (none with...
It does sound like you've made great educational choices for your kids so far.  The two keys for me would be that your dd is already doing 10th grade material and will have to do it alone, since she's not in 10th grade.  Also, the fact that your dd wants to skip-- that says a tremendous amount about her desire to learn and her understanding of her abilities.  If it were me, I would push ahead. 
DanGreene, I'm curious why you've needed to take so many IQ tests.  Was there some kind of brain injury doctors were monitoring, or a learning disability?  I'm just trying to envision a scenario where one needs to know an IQ more than once.
What about taking her to Weight Watchers? She's apparently aware she's overweight, and I think WW focuses on healthy eating and should give her information to use to make better choices.  I like that it doesn't ban any food, but focuses on making choices.  
Back to the OP, I would be especially worried about the bullies, since they bullied your dd in front of you.  How brazen! It seems clear that they are not afraid of consequences from adults.  I wonder what the dynamic is at school (and at home) that lets them feel so confident about their poor behavior?   I would definitely look for other schooling options for your dd, while at the same time I would put pressure on the school to solve this problem.  I would email the...
Have you sat them down and ask them what they think the problem is and how it can be fixed?  Sounds like you need a family heart-to-heart.  We did that when my 10 yo twin boys were probably around your girls' age and it made a tremendous difference.  We talked about what it meant to be a good brother, what they wanted from their brother and what they should do if the other was acting inappropriately.  You'd be amazed at how your kids want things handled (my boys are much...
I think the question you should be asking is if your dd's reading ability reflective of the rest of her skills?  Are you surprised, based on her other abilities, that she's not doing better at reading? Does she easily recall words she has  learned?  Can she sound out easy words without trouble, or is that an almost impossible task?    I ask because your dd could be perfectly fine.  I think that Dick and Jane readers are considered average for rising 1st graders, but,...
I voted 14-15.  I traveled to three countries with a friend when I was 16.  I'm not going to say it was without incident (my friend lost her passport and there was an incident with a cab driver in the Philippines), but we handled our difficulties with maturity.  Of course that was a different world back then, but I know I was responsible enough to do it.   I think it would depend on the country, but I would let my children do it.
  Yes, those scores qualify for Davidson.  My son is a DYS, but it's not the great solution to his schooling issues I hoped it would be.  You'll still need to advocate year to year, although the family consultants can provide you with a lot of documentation and ideas to make your case to administrators.  I think if we decide to home school, DYS will be a great resource, especially the other families who have BTDT.   Our son was approved to a skip to a gifted MS, but the...