or Connect

Posts by chaimom

We put our dd in K, even though it was an option to do early-entrance to 1st.  I also think K is a good transition year and a time to meet lots of friends. But my dd actually wished she was in 1st and would tell everyone that.  By the end of the year, she was saying she just wanted to go into 2nd grade.  So... if you think your son is ready for it, I would encourage you to talk to the school about early entrance to 1st.  Even though it's not what we did, there is a lot...
If he's so defiant and has no boundaries, I would find a good family counselor.  I had a friend whose son was like this and their pediatrician also said he probably had ODD.   He's 10 now and somewhat better, but the things he would do had my jaw on the floor.  I have twin boys the same age and they would never have considered doing the things this kid did.     Some of the doozies I heard about: -- stomping on neighbor's flowers, refusing to stop and when finally...
Not knowing your step daughter, its hard to offer real advice, but have you tried getting her into counseling?  Have you tried talking to a counselor to get ideas on how to handle her and get her reconnected?     Have you looked into alternative schools?    My thoughts are that if a kid isn't motivated in school, despite having a supportive family, that he or she might have a learning disability that makes accessing school particularly difficult.     Sorry you're...
WOW.  I'd be pretty angry at my ex if my children were exposed to that move-- it's rated R, and is about male strippers and partying.  Geez.  What bad judgement on the part of your ex.     I have no idea what you can do about it, though.  Do you have an attorney-- maybe she or he can advise you on how to ensure your ex pays attention to movie ratings (and TV ratings).     Also, if I were you, I would read the reviews of the movie, going to kidsinmind.com, which...
I think it's incredibly divisive --and utterly wrong-- to make the sweeping statement that public schools are designed to created relationships akin to those of workers in coal mines and factories whereas the relationships among homeschoolers are much more enlightened!Look, I'm not opposed to homeschool--we are considering it for my PG boy--but I am under no illusions that it is going to be the be-all, end- all for his education. And the biggest thing I will regret is his...
I have a 10-year-old boy and there are definitely kids in his class who sneak away during recess and kiss behind the PE building. There was one unfortunate girl who did most of the kissing, with a line of boys trying to kiss her.  They all got caught and were no longer allowed free reign of the playground.  But I know most of the kids involved and they're all basically good kids who were just experimenting, and who needed help setting limits.    Personally, I don't...
 I'm sorry, but I can't take your opinion seriously after this comment. LOL!  What an amazing statement. May I ask what research backs this up?
I'm going to encourage you to let it go, as hard as that may be.  You can still harbor a grudge, but be the better person.    I have twin boys, and last year, only one of them was invited to the birthday party of one of their friends.  Believe me, I had similar feelings to what you're experiencing.  And the birthday boy's mom actually emailed me to say that she hoped my "left-out" son didn't feel too badly.  I was going to respond to her email, but I decided that...
Yes, sorry to say I agree with the previous two posters.  You went over the line.  I can completely understand where you were coming from, and I certainly would have wanted to do the same thing you did, but the kid's mom was right there already.  You needed to let her handle it, even if you knew she wouldn't handle it well. You've already figured out she isn't effective at teaching her children to interact appropriately with each other or other children, so it's really...
    Research on gifted kids and their educational options absolutely supports grade skipping.  It is a myth that grade skipping causes social problems.  Reams of research on the gifted show that they are more comfortable and successful when they are with their intellectual peers than with their age peers.  Have you read "Genius Denied," or "Nation Deceived," both books about how to handle the educational needs of the highly or profoundly gifted?  I suggest you do and it...