or Connect

Posts by chaimom

OMG!! I'm so glad you withdrew him from school! Is this a public school? If so, I would talk to the district's special education department about next steps-- they should understand the issue and be able to understand his IQ scores. If you don't get help with them I would hire an advocate to help you navigate the school system and federal law for children with learning disabilities. BTW, a child can still be gifted and have a learning disability.
OK-- my opinion is totally different from everyone else's!  My reluctant reader has dyslexia, so that might be why I feel differently about this.   Thanks to tutoring, and rewards for reading, he was tested at 6th grade reading in 4th grade.  He literally paid him to read.  For us, the less he read, the less progress he made in reading.  We needed to do what it took to get those words in his head.  So after talking to a psychologist, who suggested the idea, we paid him....
Yikes.  I have 3 kids-- 10, 10 & 6 and I would say that is NOT normal, at least in our house.  The boys (twins) rarely fight or bicker, but they do tease each other sometimes.  From the time they were babies, we always talked to them about sharing and "kind touches" and taking turns, and we complimented them when they were kind to each other.  So they've pretty much always been good about it.   And my dd's a sweetheart and would never purposely hurt anyone.     I've...
I really appreciate everyone's thoughtful comments.     To answer some questions, I was able to meet only one teacher and he was great, but he was the art teacher.  My son is especially good at math and science and I imagine if we don't skip him, he'll place into the 8th grade math class. The middle school apparently has a fantastic math teacher, so that's good.  I don't know if they do skips in science.  Language arts is easier to differentiate.  I have several...
I think I would go ahead and mention it to the mom.  "Also, just so you know, there was a weird incident where I believe xx pooped on my dd's bed.  I didn't see it, but she was alone in there and then we found it.  It was probably an accident, but I only bring this up in case there's some kind of an issue."   The reason I suggest telling the mom is because I would want to know if something weird like that happened during a playdate. I have a 6 yo dd and I can't...
Thanks for your response tiredx2.    You're right about the other skippers-- she doesn't know of any, but there are two kids that were skipped early (1st grade) in the 5th grade class, so the principal WILL be getting skippers.  My son is just doing it later than the others.   The thing is, I don't entirely  support a skip. He's small, for one thing.  But I was hoping for an educated discussion with the principal about the pro's and con's of skipping to that...
My son just turned 10 and has finished 4th grade in a highly gifted school where he was in all 5th grade classes (highly gifted classes).  The elementary school ends in 5th grade, and kids can choose one of several middle schools to attend.  After meeting with his teaching team, including the principal and a district GT rep, where we discussed what he would learn next year (since he's already done the 5th grade curriculum),  they came up with options for independent...
I agree with the other poster who suggested telling your child it's a test to see how they learn.  That's what we did with our boys and it really takes the pressure off and allows them to just do their best.  I told my son that he needed to try his hardest and that there would probably be a point where he couldn't answer the questions any more, but that he was to continue to do his best.  
Chenchen, don't you think it's asking a bit much of a 6 year old to set boundaries with a 9 year old?  The OP has said the boys try, but the 9 year old constantly oversteps those boundaries.  It's time for the mother to step in and protect her children from the 9 year old.  Yes, it's very sad he hasn't learned appropriate behavior yet, but being told to stay away from kids is a consequence that he will hopefully learn from.     It's always a dilemma-- how much to...
How do you know your son won't play with toys?  Most kids who are 2 like toys unless there's a developmental issue.  Toddlers love bright colors and things that move.  I don't really understand why you don't want him to have those things.     If you're afraid he's going to get junk toys, how about suggesting some of the LeapFrog toys, or  Plan toys?  They're stimiluating and educational.