or Connect

Posts by chaimom

Wow, that's a problem.  I guess I would be as stern and scary as you can to him, since the mom doesn't seem to want to control him.  Don't talk about your boys needing "space"  to him. Tell the boy:  "I want you to leave my boys alone.  I think you're bullying them and we don't like it.  They are much younger than you and they are not going to play with you. Here's the rule: I do not want to see you near them or trying to talk to them. It's not appropriate. If I see you...
I am absolutely baffled as to why this site has so many threads with posters afraid the authorities will take away their children.  I've never seen threads like this on other parenting boards.   Honestly, it makes me wonder.   
I agree with the previous poster.  And my heart is broken for your passionate little boy who wants to build.  What's wrong with respecting his passion?  He has to give away a set if he wants a new one?  When my boys were little that would have been like choosing a child to give away.   Because you don't like legos, your kid's not allowed to have them?    FYI, legos help teach important math skills-- kids who are good at building with them are often the best mathies...
I have boys, but I don't want a 7 year old boy in my locker room when I'm changing.  That's way too old to be changing with women. And I am modest. Fine if you're not, but I am and it's a ladies locker room.  Boys who are seven are capable of dressing themselves, so I do think the child could go to the men's locker to change.  But if there's a concern, the boy should come in his suit, and leave in his suit.  Or he could go with his mom to a ladies restroom after she...
There's no way I would agree to hold back a child with nearly perfect grades.  That's one issue.   The separate issue is the immaturity. What exactly does that mean?  He can't sit still?  He bothers other kids when they're trying to work?  He cries in class?  Any of those things should be dealt with individually as a behavior issue.   Do not let them lump the two things together.  They are different.  Academics vs. Behavior.  Perhaps he's a candidate for a...
Here are three good-news stories:    My older brother and I are 11 months apart.  :0  (What were my parents thinking?!!)  And I have another brother 23 months younger.  We all turned out fine.  My older brother and I are very different from each other-- he's extremely easy going, and my mother says I bossed him around from the time I could crawl.  But he didn't care.  (Sweet guy.)   We're all close as adults.   I bickered with my younger brother when I was in...
    I don't understand what you mean by this?  There's no such thing as a gifted child?  The criteria is wrong?    Hmm.     Sorry you're having trouble finding a preschool.  Play-based preschools are fine, even if you don't believe in "gifted criteria." My gifted children did fine in a playbased preschool.    
Well, I guess my answer is a little bit different than pp's.   Of course you want your dd to be happy and kind.  But school-wise, I think you definitely want to make sure she's met at her level.   My son has been really unhappy in his gifted magnet school this year and we ended up doing testing and found out he's PG.  That is tremendous information for us, as now we know that even in his HGT classes, he's just not getting what he needs.     We're in the...
We've had leapsters, a didj and the explorer.  The didj never caught on.  All my kids liked the leapster, but interest was pretty much over by age 4. I think the explorer is for kids a little bit older than leapster-age.  My dd is 6 and in k, and still plays with it sometimes (actually very rarely), but she's not put off by it.   If you have an ipad or iphone, my kindergardener loves the apps called "TeachMe."  They come in K, 1st & 2nd.  I think they're probably...
Can you talk to his daycare teachers to see if someone there could be on call for you?  I think you've really got to figure out a plan for your ds so that your dh can be with you.