or Connect

Posts by chaimom

"I really believe in parenting without punishing."   Is a consequence the same thing as a punishment?  The consequence for dumping dirt on a sleeping dog is to get the dog brush and brush every last bit of dirt out of its hair, then get the broom and sweep up the dirt.     The consequence for "painting" dirt with the broom is that she can't go outside for the rest of the day since you can't trust her to be on her own.    I think at 4, most kids aren't going...
One of my boys was grade skipped.  He was young for his grade anyway, and he's in the 20th pct for height. So he's little-- really little-- in his class of 5th graders, some of whom are hitting puberty and huge growth spurts.  One of his friends is at least a foot taller than him.  His best friend is probably 8 inches taller.  Occasionally I hear the other kids say, "Hi, little guy" to him. I asked if it bothers him and he says it doesn't.  It helps that he's really...
I'll jump in and say (for anyone worried about early labor and who used assistance) that I my twins were conceived via IVF  and they were delivered full term and absolutely healthy.  I did go on bed rest for a week at 35 weeks, but then they didn't come until 38 weeks. They were 6lb15 oz and 5lb10 oz.  I consumed a ton of protein during pregnancy, and my big twin was 5 oz larger than the singleton I had 3 years later.  I have no idea about the data about more problems...
You are kidding yourself to think that your son's behavior issues have anything to do with him being gifted.  I have a 9 yo son who is HG, and he probably is smarter than me.  He has never tried to pinch his brother's penis.  He has never abused anyone in the family.  And he wouldn't dream of being mean and then telling the rest of us we have to put up with it!  Why?  Because we don't put up with it, and those aren't the values of our family.   I totally agree with...
I'm not surprised you're getting no interest.  I hate these pyramid schemes and never participate.  For us, they usually involve stickers, but I would be even less inclined to participate in a book scheme.  My family loves to go to bookstores and find books that appeal to each of us, so the though of a randomly sent book from a stranger really doesn't go over.  Sorry.   If it was a swap meet, where everyone met and could exchange books they didn't want anymore, I...
That's a district policy that the Challenge School can disqualify a child because of a behavioral issue? I find that very hard to believe  (not doubting you, I'm doubting that the policy is legal).  My son is in an HGT magnet school and there are MANY kids with behavioral issues.  I'd say about 10 percent of them.  Their behavior has nothing to do with their academic needs.  I think I'd look more closely into the actual district and state policies and see if what you're...
My boys are 9 1/2 and I don't find that conversation unusual at all.  Kids that age are very aware of the world around them.  We have the Today Show on in the mornings, so they hear the news and we discuss what's going on.  They know about the school shooting, which resulted in a conversation about school safety and bullying.  They knew about Whitney, which resulted in a conversation about personal choices and responsibility, drugs and addiction.  In the car last week,...
Hmmm.. My boys are 9 1/2.  They're not perfect, but they're good boys.   I'm concerned about your son's weight.  I can't imagine how skinny he must be, with no fat reserves to help him through the day. No wonder he flies off the handle.  One of my boys is 4'11 & 65 lbs and he's soooo skinny.  (I see his skinny bod at swim practice every night.)  What we do, because my skinny boy is a picky eater, too, is make sure he has some foods he'll eat at every meal.  He also...
A couple of stories:     As infants, I always put them to sleep in the same crib, but about a foot apart.  When I would go to check up on them, they had always inched together (even while swaddled) and ended up snuggled up to each other.   When they were about 2, they both carried "lovies" around.  One had a moose, the other had a bear.  One day, my "bear" boy realized he'd forgotten it at home and started sobbing in the car.   My moose boy handed him his moose...
  Wow.  Really?  OP says she is the leader, though.  IMO,  if you're hosting a brownie group you get to insist that bullies behave! :)  I'm not suggesting she bully or badger the girl herself, but that the girl and her mother need to know there are behavioral expectations she needs to meet in order to continue attending.  The brownie leader/mother I know also acts as a moral crusader outside the meetings to remind her troop if necessary to be kind.  (She sees them every...