or Connect

Posts by chaimom

In my experience, you can't change their internal clocks and believe me, I've tried. My kids have always been awake early (5-5:30 as babies, and now no later than 6:30 most mornings) and we tried everything you've tried to get them to sleep later.    I never thought I'd be an early riser, but I am now, thanks to them.  There was nothing we could do to change their internal clocks.  Late bedtimes just made them more tired the next day.  My dd dropped her naps at age 2....
This is how I've handled it too.  But while my dd seems to think that since we're both girls she can come into the bathroom any time I'm in there, I don't hesitate to tell her I need privacy when I feel like being alone to change a tampon, for instance.  I don't think anyone needs to watch me do that.  So she's never seen blood.  But she has asked all the questions.  I'm pretty casual about it and hope that she doesn't feel uncomfortable about it as she gets older.   My...
I don't understand the quiet time issue.  She's forced to go to her room so you can have quiet time?  Why can't she listen to music and work on her letters in the living room with you?   She seems much too old to have a forced quiet time.  When do you plan to stop forcing her to do this?  Age seven?  Nine?   Sorry to be harsh, but I don't understand what values this type of quiet time would instill.  I would get it if she needed a nap, but at age 5, she doesn't...
My boys were 3 1/2 when my dd was born.  When they met her in the hospital, we had a cake that said "Congratulations! You're a big brother!"  (Yes, it's weird because one twin is actually 2 minutes older-- but we pretended there hadn't been an older brother.)  They also got a small older brother gift "from her" to open.  I think it was a hot wheels car for each of them.  They were thrilled.  They were showered with praise and admiration for their amazing feat of becoming...
I think I would go directly to the office to talk to the principal about the bullying, and follow up to find out that it was handled.  I would also talk to the teacher, of course, and find out what she will do to keep your daughter safe from the bully.   About the Brownies situation.  I wouldn't care whether there was fall-out or not.  I would tell the girl that part of being in Brownies is to be respectful and that if she can't do that, she cannot attend and put her...
First, I would ask the teacher to come up with a more positive form of behavior modification, especially since it's clear the punitive method of detention is not working, and may actually be making the problem worse.  I really disagree with withholding recess for behavior issues-- I think you could do some google research and find ample evidence that this is a misguided policy.   Second, I would also ask the teacher about whether your dd is being adequately...
I have a kindergartener in public school.  She entered school as a good reader, but if she hadn't been, I would expect her to learn the alphabet and  some letter/sound combinations in K.  That doesn't sound too academic to me.  And I would love that it's a research-based successful program. (I haven't researched the program to see if it is, but as the mom of an older child with dyslexia, I think all reading programs should be research-based.)   How much time are they...
LOL!  I can't wait to read this post to my 9 yo when he gets home from school.  He'll crack up because we've had the same discussion in our house. All three of my kids play minecraft. (9,9, & 6).  I can see why they like it-- it's all about using their imagination. I think there are some subtle math skills in there, too, especially for my 6 yo.  I limit time if they're not getting music practice, homework or their limit chores done, but they have enough outside...
I don't think I'd want to be part of a playgroup that has a mom like that.  Any chance that mom can be expelled? I think I would tell the PG sponsor about the incident, just so she'll know.  I've never been part of a formal playgroup-- are there rules?  Seems like that would be a violation of the rules.   I'm wondering why she was so mad.  Is that typical behavior from her? Does your dd routinely yell at the toddlers and make them cry?  Maybe there's a weird dynamic...
I agree you should get him privately tested for a learning issue.  But I would first go back to the tester and ask for some analysis of the data.  Such a large disparity should trigger the question automatically, I would think.   When my son was 7, we had him tested because he's exceptionally bright, but really struggled with reading and writing.  His homework took forever and he fought about it every night, which also was not his personality.  He has a twin, who...