or Connect

Posts by rosebuds

This past year my dd has had several episodes of anxiety/panic disorder or panic attacks.   I'm hoping to find some good resources for both myself and her. She is 12 years old.   The attacks seem to be brought on during travel (starts worrying about motion sickness which leads to an attack where she believes she is dying). As they are related to her believing she is going to die and no one will be able to help her she has also experienced them during swimming...
Just a quick note in response...she does go to get her hair trimmed and enjoys it...the shampoo is her favourite part of the experience. I will discuss with her tonight about starting showers every other day...morning or night will be her choice.   Thanks again.
Is it possible to create strong chore habits with 9 and 11 y/o when it hasn't happened yet?   Specifically basic daily chores. Making bed, tidying up room, putting laundry away, helping with dinner dishes. Thats about all I am looking for.   We have been sporadic with our expectations thus far. Schedules are kind of all over the place, it has been hard to find regularity but I REALLY REALLY want to and worry that it is too late to have these good habits ingrained...
Just curious...after having realized that the amount of quality time I spend with my near 11y/o dd is negligible I feel like I need to revisit my schedule and carve out some time for her. Some of my challenges are that:   a) I also have a 9 y/o dd who wants my attention and enjoys doing everything we do so she often ends up being with us (not ideal in my 11y/o eyes)   b) I don't drive so even going to the mall/library etc. requires dh and dd2 to come along for...
I agree, once a week isn't enough. She has swimming lessons on Thursdays and showers then, and Sunday nights, but needs more. That is part of the problem, just getting her into the shower Sunday is no fun. She does it, she knows it's a non negotiable but complains nonetheless. My OP was basically that - how do I motivate her to want to do more? I like the idea of taking her to buy her own shower items but honestly think that that kind of external motivation will work for...
My almost 11 y.o dd is definitely going through puberty...body odour, breast development, oily skin and VERY greasy hair. She has never been one to care about looks which I am happy about. She has never wanted to look a certain way or have expectations of hair styles or the like. But now that she is stinky and greasy I wish she had some awareness of how she is presenting herself. I know she could use a few extra showers a week but the one Sunday night shower she has is...
Yes, I have a daughter like this...she is 10 but has been "intense" since she was about 6 or 7. We worry about the way she berates her younger sister and it often feels like she is a dark storm that the family has to take shelter from. I am constantly wondering what we can do to help her and the family from the storm that she is. When you say your daughter is unhappy at home I can totally relate...my dd does go to school and does very well there and then I often dread...
Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. My dd is 10.5 y/o and has occasionally in an extreme state of frustration exhibited self harm. She has not ever cut herself but has wrung her hands really really hard to cause pain, dug her fingernails into herself and on one particular occasion refused to wear her coat because she said something like she didn't deserve to be warm, she should be cold. These things have been very random and far between each other but...
My dd is turning 10 this month and I would like to do something special for her decade birthday. I thought about maybe putting together a scrapbook for her, or maybe a time capsule - suggestions welcome on what to include in the capsule. What did you do to mark your dc 10th birthday? Thanks in advance everyone.
Does anyone know how to speak preteen? I am so baffled by my dd these days. We are in the throws of a serious communication break down. I look her in the eye and tell her something and she completely turns it around and is convinced I have said the complete opposite. example: Me to dd: "I love you." Dd to me: "You don't love me, you think I am an idiot!" I tell her I love her several times a day (when she leaves for school, when I am proud of her, when she makes...