or Connect

Posts by Tigerchild

So, how willing would you be to "let it go" the next day after your sister called your son a molester/rapist for continuing to try to touch her daughter after her daughter said "no", just because she called the next day apologizing for "losing control" during the conversation?   What you said was outrageous.  I would not trust you to be a safe person around my children either--because that kind of loss of control and disgustingly inappropriate shaming response would...
Bec, I have read that puberty influences bone growth in many ways, since it's not just that the bones are getting longer but there's also maturation or something like that affecting the growth plates? I don't know that it's proven or anything but that is a concern listed as a reason for delaying puberty (it will stunt adult height if too early)... So I can see logically how the reverse (delayed puberty=more length and slower bone maturation) could be deduced from that. I...
Nextcommercial,  DD wants to be super tall!  She is already 5'3" which makes her a giant  to most of her classmates, but we've gently tried explaining that there's a pattern in women on both sides of the family being the tallest until 5th or 6th grade and then other people catch up/surpass.  We'll see if she puts on a few more inches after that.  I suspect she'll be taller than me (I'm 5'3", she keeps wanting to measure the two of us every day so she knows when she...
You can give boys injections that suppress and even regress! puberty.  I don't believe it's recommended that you do it for very *long*, just until they reach a more median age rather than being on the "early" side.  Both these kids were just a little older than the threshold of what is considered precocious puberty in boys, so instead of recommending treatment they give the option to do so with the understanding that it's short term.   There can be concerns with...
Earlier in the year I heard this NPR story going on and on about how if Americans weren't so fat, girls wouldn't be developing "early" (they were talking about 8 year olds starting to develop breasts, which is still 'normal' timing for breast buds!), how horrible it is that girls develop breasts, fear the sexuality that comes with it (because, obviously, you know, if you grow boobs you also immediately become a slut), wow girls who develop earlier than 12 are freaks,...
Haha, that is great!  I think that is part of my disorientation.  DD came home, we chatted about school, and then she was like, "Hey, guess what, I started my period today at school.  Oooh, did you make popcorn?"  *grabs a handful and stuffs it into her mouth while my mouth is hanging open* "Can I have some?  Thanks!" and then she went back downstairs to dance around in her room and get ready for dance class.  I mean, I don't know what I was expecting, not that...
I'm surprised at my internal reaction. She is happy about it, I think because she finally got to use her cool kit we put together at the beginning of school (she got her period at school and didn't even go to the nurse, just got her kit and took care of business. I am happy that it was not traumatic or a big deal for her. OTOH I will admit there is a part of me that is a little freaked too. I knew this was coming, she started developing just after her 8th birthday, so...
Depending on the severity of the epilepsy, that *can* cause brain damage and developmental effects.  That's not your run of the mill occasional seizure though.  But for people with uncontrolled epilespy or who have had periods of time with frequent seizures to the point of causing some damage, there can be behavioral effects.   That being said, if this boy had uncontrolled epilepsy, I would think that if mom was going to closely supervise anywhere it'd be at a pool...
I've been here since 2001.  I was here prior to The Great Forum crash, but not by much, I joined initially during my early pregnancy with DD because I saw the magazine.   I don't think MDC has changed much in the people that come here, but the forum size (as in number of subfora) blew up like whoa (which means less cohesive community), and it tends to go in cycles.  I'm not impressed at all with the most recent changes but that has nothing to do with people and...
I was (and am) close to my favorite auntie. Though she had more access to me since I always spent a few weeks every summer with her and my uncle and cousins. She didn't do anything overt I guess but just was a save and stable person. She would listen and never tried to defend my mom or make excuses. It was also nice to be a kid around her, she actually parented me which was a novelty and was very careful to emphasize that she could be mad at something I did but still...