or Connect

Posts by Tigerchild

My boys had TTTS, with about a 25-30 percent size discrepancy (skirting close to the maximum size you can have and still be survivable).  In addition my donor twin had a cord insertion that was less than ideal, so probably some of that size discrepancy was NOT from TTTS (though some of it was), which is probably why both were miraculously healthier than what was expected for them at birth (esp. for my donor twin).   At birth, my donor/IUGR baby was shocking in...
I think it's not the behavior itself that is the concern (even teenage boys can do dumb stuff like that), but the fact that apparently he doesn't get that it's inappropriate.  More than one incident at school, after he was talked to and told that behaving that way was inappropriate?  Cause for concern.  Ditto for doing that again at home, assuming that he's been talked to.  I would not assume that it hasn't happened at school, too, in the bathrooms.   Have you sat...
It's highly individual.  DD has had her period for 6 months now, and still doesn't have underarm hair (we go swimming once a week, so it'd be noticeable).   Come to think about it, I think it took me about a year to develop underarm hair after I started my period, and it's always been sparse.   I'm thinking maybe the body hair thing might be more dependent on how hairy you tend to be (I'm not, I can literally go months without shaving and unless you're feeling my...
Uh, how about, "While you and I know that what a person looks like is never a reason to be unkind, it's also true that a lot of people don't know that or use what a person looks like as an excuse to be mean to them.  That's why we don't comment on how people look unless we are being positive or complementary, even if we think we're being helpful.  If someone asks you what you think or for help, then you can answer.  Otherwise, there's no need to comment on how people...
My almost-11 year old still plays with hers, but now that she's more into writing than anything else, I've noticed that she spends less time arranging (though still likes to dress them up) and verbally acting things out as much as they are tucked around her on her loft while she writes stories about them.  When she has friends over that are the same age, they still enjoy playing with the dolls too, but since they have similar writing/making plays interests, the doll play...
  When it's stated as "puberty" starting at 8 or 9, that does not mean period, Mirzam.  Menarche tends to start a couple of years after the beginning of puberty.  If a girl gets her period at 8 or 9, then presumably she started puberty at 6, 7, or earlier, which *would* actually meet the definition of "early puberty."   Developing breast buds or some body hair (often the first signs of puberty) at 8 or 9 is not abnormal.
I agree, the fear-mongering is really horrible around this subject.   My daughter started developing breast buds at 8, and got her period at 10.5 (about six months before I did).  She is healthy, happy.  She's eaten an excellent, whole foods/mostly organic diet her whole life.   Puberty is not "early" at 9 or 10.  It's just not.  My daughter was one of the first in her class to develop, but not the only one, and now that they're all 10 or 11 she doesn't look that...
It's going to be tough for awhile.   You're going to have to learn how to just roll with it, as annoying as that sounds.  No, your children are not going to be permanently damaged by this, unless you beat yourself up in front of them.   The blunt truth is you will never give your children as much attention as you would ideally like to, esp. when you have more than 1 (and having been an only child and knowing lots of parents/only children, it's also not true that...
My kids' 4th and 5th grade teachers invite students in to conferences.  I've actually learned more about my kid at school/how they're doing from those conferences than in the private one on one ones with the teacher.  Also as others have mentioned it's excellent one on one time (almost for the student and teacher).   
My boys had TTTS so there was a huge size difference.  Now it's not so apparent, but when they're 4 and 6 lbs--big big difference.   There are some MZ twins that look so much alike that even close friends and parents can't tell them apart, but we know a lot MZ twins and don't know any sets where the parents/sibs don't boggle at people who can't.  My boys are in the same class at school (and have been since K, they're in 4th grade now) with mostly the same kids, and...