or Connect

Posts by Tigerchild

My kids go to Title 1 school, and I think it (even the general ed) is hands down superior than our super-rich neighborhood school. Better teachers, better diversity, better administrators, better atmosphere. Hands down. Even though technically they have failed to make AYP because one category of grade-specific students did not make as much progress as they're supposed to (they did make progress, they just fell short of the expected progress). But, we have excellent...
I really never got anyone on a coordinated schedule. I pretty much relied on "Daddy time" to give me a chance to steal away with DD. Though she gave up napping when she was 20 months and the boys were 3 months old, so we did get some time when both boys happened to be down. It was a lot harder to do things together once the boys got mobile. Until that point, I could do puzzles/painting/ect. with her with the boys nearby watching us on their blanket with their toys...
I would be honest. "I know you're trying to help, and I'm a little disappointed that double slinging is painful/doesn't work for me and that simultaneous tandem nursing isn't my bag. I'm doing the best I can. When you offer me advice on multiples that I haven't asked for, I feel judged and it's upsetting because I feel like you're imagining you could do it better. Really, I'd just like to hang out with you and have fun with you, I'm not looking for advice and it just...
Yes, they are based on horribly racist stereotypes and attitudes. Just because someone has a positive connotation to them doesn't mean that they aren't based in racism. Lots of children and adults grew up loving blackface minstrel performers too. Fifty years ago, even Bugs Bunny and other famous cartoons had horribly racist characters (or caricatures, more correctly) on them. You used to be able to buy postcards from florida showing cartoon black children trying to...
I adore the school my kids go to--both their choice/magnet program AND the larger school that houses it. It is a cherished and treasured community for me. As dorky and stupid as it sounds to say that, it's true. Does it mean that I love and respect all decisions made by the district or never get annoyed at stuff that happens at school? Not at all. But...well, like I said, the school's community is like family to me--even if I get annoyed/angry/exasperated/ect. over...
I've had more success with "no gifts" when I gave the option of donating something, to be honest. And if you don't want gifts, then I don't think it's rude to say so. For DD's last birthday, she decided that she wanted to have people bring a donation to a local animal shelter if they would like to. People honored our wishes, and the parents told me that the kids were so excited to get stuff off the shelter list. Since your kiddo is younger, your target is the...
OP, I really feel for you. I think there were very few things that really threatened to push my rage button than feeling like my DD was soiling or peeing in her pants to spite me. I also know that's it's sadly become "in" in some circles to equate late potty training with slovenly parenting, or a reflection of the lack of discipline that's destroying our society. So I don't know if you or your DH moves in those circles and perhaps that's why he's getting impatient with...
My daughter was 9 months old when I got knocked up with her brothers. We had no problem nursing, I only slowed down production in the 2nd tri, it never quit altogether. I nursed through a very high stress TTTS pregnancy, with the support of my perinatologist (I overcook babies, I don't undercook them, which is why he probably wasn't worried). That being said, if you can't handle everyone freaking out on you, and very little in the way of supportive literature (at...
Quote: Originally Posted by JessieBird And like I said, my friend has litterally expressed that she doesn't think her kids are worth as much because they came to her as damaged goods. She's said this in different ways on more than one occasion. This is not merely a case of my interpretation of things, though that is part of it. Yes, but are these occasions in the same 2-3 year time span? To be honest, my perspective as a mom who had twins 17...
Do you know this couple intimately, or do you *just* "know of" them? Because there seems to be a lot of information missing. First, international vs. domestic adoption is very different. Country to country laws are different, and laws and policies change (sometimes rapidly) over time. So being the adoptive parents of three kids doesn't necessarily mean that these folks are well versied in Ugandan-to-Canadian adoption, especially if they don't have good, up-to-date...