or Connect

Posts by Tigerchild

Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride I know quite a few people who are very skeptical of climate change, at least as climate change is generally understood. Not one of them has anything resembling this mentality. Several of them are people who have been thinking of the environment for decades. I'm going to guess though that the reasons why they are skeptical don't have much to do with "zOMG CONSPIRACY!!!!" though. I am speaking of knee jerk...
I always think it's rather interesting that many people I know who get upset at the "conspiracies" and "ulterior motives" of the climate change folks turn a total blind eye to who fuels the people who publicize those "conspiracies" and market them. Let's be real here. There are an awful lot of companies and political entities that stand to gain a LOT financially and otherwise from the "God made plants and trees, we can waste 'em as we please" mentality. Those folks...
Has anyone done some experimentation with this? My DD has super sensitive skin. I know she reacts to every single Burt's Bees product I've ever tried. She did not react to my DHC olive oil, but she really doesn't like it (and it's pretty messy). Most stuff has fragrances or (I think) preservatives that make her react. What have you used for your sensitive youngsters that are just entering puberty and getting some bumps? I am open to commercial products, homemade...
Is there any chance you can talk privately with a family law attorney? I would ask them your questions, especially as it relates to a foster child. Adoption, as you know, is permanent. Legal guardianship gives no real rights to the child, it ends at 18 unless they're legally incompetant. It also, in some states, is rather easily broken and changed, which I think that you might need to take that into consideration if you're planning an *international* move. It can be...
Quote: Originally Posted by One_Girl 95th percentile is considered at risk and if she was off the chart at the high end then she would be overweight. Not if she was in the 95+ percentile for height.
Quote: Originally Posted by Linda on the move The whole system is different. The boarding school my Dh went to IS a state run school. It's a different system. I was just going to point out that many boarding schools in the UK are "state run". You have to be careful, as an american, about terminology too. A lot of Americans would assume that a "faith/church" school would be "private", but that's not a good assumption to make (the state...
Are there any other educational alternatives than the boarding school? Something even 45 minutes away rather than 2 hours? I am sorry, I'm not familiar with the UK educational system so I don't know if it's possible to switch schools, but perhaps you can look into other schools in the area (public and private) and get your son's input on them too? Sometimes what we think our kids should like is not what's best for them. I also think it's good that you can...
Well, as a BTDT mama (My eldest was 17 months old when my twins were born), I'm going to give you a little tough love here. You can either choose to be gentle with yourself and learn to roll with it...or you're going to get steamrollered flat and it's going to be very painful. You are not going to be Martha Stewart (or even, perhaps, Roseanne) with young baby twins. Having twins is (IMNSHO) a universal exercise in learning humility. You will need to learn how to...
I think bringing it without a heads up to the host will probably be perceived as rude. I might also frame it as "My kid has problems with . Do you know if there will be veggie/fruit/blah choices or should I bring my own? I didn't want to offend you, it's no problem bringing our own stuff, we are used to it, but I wanted to let you know so it wasn't a suprise!" As people get to know your family and you stay in touch, I think you will find...
I have a second grader and helped out with writing/spelling reguarly with her classmates for two years now. Most, if not all, of the kids (even the very smart ones) have errors with phonetic spelling. I guess I would be careful about your expectations about what is "second grade" work vs. Kindy. Most of the kids in the class are reading well above grade level, so it is also true that what you can read with full comprehension and enjoyment doesn't mean you can spell,...