or Connect

Posts by Tigerchild

I thumbed through a friend's copy when my oldest was a baby, looked too long and boring to me and like it was more work for the parent than anyone else. If your kid is not digging it or asking for this, I wouldn't bother. Or was this suggested to you by a teacher or something? If it's a "Struggle" and not necessary, then I would back off personally. If it is imperative that your kid learn how to decode quickly now, then if this system isn't working why not try...
Honestly... You have no idea how much connection the teachers have with the children based on a one time observation. You're also assuming that connection ONLY looks one way--the way that you have been fantasizing about. IME, some teachers are very excited, yippy-skippy, vivacious, demonstrative...and some are more low key. Yet we have been blessed with teachers that always loved my kids, and my kids in return loved them, even though there were lots of different...
If it's vital for you that your practitioner do free meet and greets, then you need to cross this person off your list. Me, I don't really care about stuff like that. Granted, I don't care all that much about the doctor being crunchy or things like that either--I just want an excellent, competant, experienced doctor who doesn't B.S. or blow sunshine up my butt. I don't care about their parenting advice, or even strictly speaking their nutritional advice. I want...
Quote: Originally Posted by no5no5 when breastmilk is readily available. And I don't see why, if early humans were to do this, they wouldn't spit into their hands and use their hands to feed their babies. That seems much more convenient. Wasteful. If you spit it into your hand, you're not going to be able to get it all into the kid's mouth. Plus, mouth to mouth means you don't have contaminants from your hands, you then have a sticky hand...
I'd stop trying to figure out why and asking for other's projected opinions as to why and what they meant--and just ask them, point blank, about why they said "cousins house" instead of church. You say you have a good relationship with them, that you trust them (and I get the sense from your post that you love them too, even if you don't share their religion). obviously, this is disturbing to you. It's only going to make it worse if you say nothing and never ask. It...
Lip kissers here too, though I know many people that are uncomfortable with it...I don't think you HAVE (or should be made to feel like you must) to kiss anyone you don't want to on the mouth! If you only want to kiss lovers, then that is perfectly fine. If I don't, then that's perfectly fine too.
Sounds like democratic or Sudbury school philosophy to me. Though, to be honest with you, how well THAT works is going to be highly dependent on the families/adults involved too. I think they're pretty rare, IME programs like that are always far more work to keep together than "standard" stuff. But when they work, with the right kids in them, they are awesome!
I wonder if these aren't listed in a big book of spelling activities somewhere. In my boys' first grade class, they need to do a spelling activity each week but they choose from a huge list of stuff like that (also including more 'old school' things like writing the words down on a piece of paper. ). But they choose what they want to do, they aren't assigned a specific activity.
Quote: Originally Posted by A&A Please do not put words into my mouth. Um...I wasn't, and very clearly so. I don't see anything bad or wrong about a child seeing someone try to make things right when one of their decisions affects someone else negatively. Your DD doesn't have control really about being able to get to the event, and this is an unfair situation. It's good for a child to see someone going to the mat for them and...
Is it wrong to wish that everyone around you held the same values and wanted to celebrate in the same way, so that you wouldn't have to feel discomfort or out of place with your own desires/values/practices? No, it's not wrong to *wish* that, I guess. Your feelings are your feelings. I don't believe that *feelings* are "right" or "wrong", though they can lead you to act in destructive ways if you're not careful. I do think it would be futile and a waste of time to...