or Connect

Posts by Tigerchild

How do you know they didn't wash his hands? I would definitely bring it up. But honestly, I might start the conversation by saying, "I'm sorry I didn't give you guys a heads up, but DS is REALLY REALLY fascinated by toilets right now and I should have mentioned that so you could take some extra precautions." I'm a little surprised that they have 1-5 year olds in the same room! But since that's the arrangment, I think to some degree there's not going to be iron clad...
Quote: Originally Posted by Linda on the move What do you hope for your DD to learn from your example? I really don't mean this snarky, but I just don't get it. Hmm, well, I'm not the OP but I would hope the DD would learn that it means that her parents are willing to take responsibility when they mess something up for her. Though I guess one could argue that since DD knew about this (unless it was dropped on her the day-of) then DD also...
Quote: Originally Posted by A&A The district does have a policy that field trips not attended by students can't be held against their grade. So I would think this falls under a similar umbrella. Sounds like the best tactic to take, and a very close comparison too.
Hmmm...so it sounds like this is more of a teacher requirement, as opposed to entire school requirement? (or this teacher is being more of an ass about excuses) Well, I would bring up to the principal/higher ups that there was an illness in the family that was not forseen, and that this was "refused" as an excuse, and that the teacher did not send home written notification about the grade knockoff policy with the rest of the science fair information, if any. As others...
Was participation in the science fair itself mandatory? Or was it required that you attend the ceremony if you chose to participate in the judged projects (vs. doing a project for class but not participating in the science fair). While requiring attendance seems over the top to me, I think it's one thing if the science far was mandated, vs. awards ceremony required IF you participated in the science fair. I'm going to guess since this was part of the grade, science...
Owly, Babymouse, the various books-turned-GN stuff (Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Boxcar Children), Sam and Alex, Jellaby...there are so many good GNs for kids! Warriors also has a GN series now (it's cats, but I guess there is kind of fighting that goes on). There's a cute series called Knights of the Lunch Table too. For those that don't mind something a little scary or with some fighting, I love Lions, Tigers, and Bears. Beautiful, beautiful art. I would say that's...
I don't see what purpose it serves to get in a peeing contest over who has it worse. Sure, sometimes it gets annoying to hear other people moaning over things that one thinks that they'd like better (look, I had 3 kids in 18 months. It was a long while before I didn't want to strangle anyone moaning about how difficult their life was with one non-colicky happy baby. But that was me projecting my fantasies about how much simpler and nicer life would be with just my DD...
I have written a letter many times to my mother, but never sent it--because really to be quite blunt she didn't deserve the privledge of me being that vulnerable to her (and still doesn't). It was for me, to strengthen my boundaries, to check my own reality, ect. I think you need to think very carefully about what you want. If you want your mother to "see the light", to admit fault, to acknowledge you, to say she's sorry--please believe me when I beg you to not...
What about plain old play-based? Or do you see preschool as a means to get a foot in the door to a private school? We know lots of people who enrolled in lots of different preschools, and it had zilch effect on school performance. Though it did affect how easy it was to get into the "parent/real" school for K or 1st! Since we knew we'd be homeschooling or utilizing the public schools, I didn't give a crap about a preschool's "educational philosophy" or academics...
I suppose it depends on the school/district. One of the schools my kids went to, it would not have surprised me if no one there had experienced racism. I can't say that my own children has personally experienced it either, though we have talked about it.