or Connect

Posts by mommadotta

My 22mo DD is very active and lively, so the cloth diapers we used with our firstborn (now 5yo!) don't stay on her very well. She also usually won't lie down for changes. For convenience sake, we've taken to using disposable pull-ups because they're the only things we're able to put and keep on her. But we'd much rather use cloth, for the usual reasons. Unfortunately, she's not nearly as reliable with using the potty as her big brother was at the same age, so the...
I'm getting ready to start IVF, and I'm exploring a cost-sharing service called Advanced Reproductive Care (based in Saratoga CA). Does anyone here have any experience with them? Or, if you've used other cost-sharing services, do you have any advice on what to be careful of or keep in mind before embarking on this? Thanks for any suggestions!
Thanks very much for sharing your experiences and the added information. I really appreciate it. There's definitely a lot to research and think about, and this helps me prepare myself better. I'm still getting used to the idea of ICSI-- it seems strange to me that it doesn't carry a higher risk of birth defects. I just don't trust the concept of visually hand-selecting sperm instead of letting the strongest ones "win"!
Thank you so much for the link! That is really helpful information. I had no idea those statistics were all compiled and so readily available. Aside from confirming that my clinic has good outcomes compared to other local options, it's very helpful to have concrete percentages so I can calculate the likelihood of needing to undergo multiple cycles. I wish they had specific numbers for the some of the different treatments-- I just found out I will have to have ICSI, and...
Thank you all for your helpful stories! I've also posted links to this thread on a couple other boards (including the Infertility board), so maybe some folks there may wander over here to respond. It's really helpful for me to hear more about other women's experiences, to give me a fuller picture of what the procedures are like and what to expect. I know the doctor's office will explain a lot of this, but hearing individual stories reinforces the key points. I've...
Quote: Originally Posted by kkearney1982 "RE" is reproductive endocrinologist. Sorry, another thing you learn really fast is all the acronyms! Ah, thanks! Quote: Originally Posted by kkearney1982 2-3 vials? My god, what are they doing? 2-3 vials for IUI, sure...but they're mixing eggs and sperm in a tiny petri dish (I had ICSI, where they pick the best sperm and inject it into the egg, so maybe that's the difference)--I...
Quote: Originally Posted by kkearney1982 I think the biggest thing I wished I had known at the beginning was that I needed to take charge of my own treatment! My RE did not give me the full story on my fertility situation until halfway through IVF #1 Thanks so much for your response! Yeah, I've discovered that that whole "take charge of my own treatment" is absolutely crucial with all medical care. More often than not I've been frustrated...
Does anyone here have experiences with IVF to share? I posted a thread in the TTC forum asking for some input, but haven't received any responses yet: Getting ready for 1st IVF cycle: What do you wish you'd known beforehand?
Does anyone here have experiences with IVF to share? I posted a thread in the TTC forum asking for some input, but haven't received any responses yet: Getting ready for 1st IVF cycle: What do you wish you'd known beforehand?
So my last IUI cycle wasn't successful, and I'm now moving forward with IVF... sigh. I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible before I start because I feel that my IUI treatment wasn't very well coordinated, and I want to be a better-informed, more active participant in my treatment this time around-- to save costs, agony, and sperm (we have a very limited quantity of sperm available, since we would like DS to have a full biological sibling). I know there are...