or Connect

Posts by little feet

Your poor daughter! Can you imagine how scared she must have been when her father was trying to smother her? Can you imagine how desperate she must have felt trying to get his affection back afterwards?   This is abuse, no two ways about it. If you do not protect your daughter, she will resent you when she is old enough to understand... and she will suffer from this just as much as she suffers with the long-lasting after-effects of having a physically and emotionally...
I'm sorry you're in this situation.  It sounds like the problem has much more to do with your MIL than with you or anything you've done - you're just a convenient target for her.  Is it possible for you to distance yourself from her at all?  Does your DH understand how toxic his mother is?  Her negativity towards you can end up hurting your relationship, and she could definitely inflict emotional damage on your children as well.  It may be helpful for you and your DH to...
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies and suggestions.   I had a positive meeting at the school, in which several people reported that although my daughter is quiet, she does talk at appropriate moments.  She moves and sings with groups and even volunteers to talk, which is a monumental improvement over how she was doing just a few years ago.   We were at the school together again a few nights ago, and I got feedback that DD was happily participating in some...
I have a meeting set up with school administrators for Tuesday morning and was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice to share.   My older daughter, who just turned 7, was an outgoing and chatty toddler.  A few months after she turned three, she suddenly stopped speaking in public.  I am not sure exactly why... I know I was a *very* quiet child.  My mother was also staying with us at the time and often shared her very loving view that my daughter "talked...
I agree, don't let your mom be alone with your children.  People with NPD always have an ulterior motive; it's always about them and never about others.  Not to say that your mother is the same as mine, but my mother needs the appearance of being a good grandmother.  She'll take pictures of the kids and then be "done" with them.  She has gotten mad at me for not sending enough pictures she can show off, but she doesn't do anything to care for them in real life.  She'll...
I let my first grade daughter watch tv for no more than an hour, and I make sure she gets food and drink in that time.  Then we do her homework (this is new, so I guide her through it) and she has free playtime (w/o tv, but can be educational games on the computer) until dinner.  Too much tv makes her really grumpy.  At seven is clean up and quiet time and at 7:30 we read books together.  She has to have her jammies on by 8, and lights are out usually around 8 - 8:30,...
I am sorry you're experiencing this.  Unfortunately, I don't think there is much you can do except to continue putting yourself "out there" as a positive contributor to society.  I am an American with a Western name, but I have a mixed background and a dark complexion - I look Middle Eastern.  My DH is Iranian, and lighter-skinned than I am.  I experienced some negativity before, but clearly more since I married someone with a Muslim name and a *gasp* accent.  There's no...
My DH is Iranian.  We gave our daughters Persian (of Arabic origin) names, but we also gave the older one a Western name because the first letter (ghayn) in her name does not exist in English, so her name (Ghazal) would end up sounding like "guzzle."  It's actually not confusing this way, because everyone around us can manage one name or the other without trouble.  Our second daughter is Nassime (naSEEM), which ends up being easy for everyone to pronounce, once they get...
I heard a popping/clicking sound all the time when I was pregnant with DD #1, but never with DD#2.
This thread is great. My DH is Iranian, and light skinned for an Iranian. I'm American of mixed heritage (mom is Dutch-Indonesian and Dad is Swiss-German), but much darker than DH - my hair is almost black, while their hair is decidedly medium brown. Our older DD has DH's complexion - they have the exact same skin color, eye color, etc., and look very much alike. Iranians always ask me (in front of DH) why DD is blonde (she's not!), and then go on to argue that she...