or Connect

Posts by aprilv

i can't be much help regarding the chewing part because i didn't have that experience w/mine, but i did decide to wean during pregnancy.  my ds was 28 mos old and also a very very dedicated nurser and difficult sleeper.  it was so hard for me, but at the time i felt that i couldn't keep going (i had pain and  tons of emotional irritation) and that it was ruining the beautiful nursing relationship we had to be so angry all the time.  in hindsight, i wish i would've weaned...
yes, i think so, but you can at least try, i guess.  my husband made an appeal spelling out how much more they would have had to pay for an in hospital birth and then they granted our appeal.    not sure your financial situation, but for us, after one hospital birth and one home birth, we would pay full price ourselves if needed.  though it wouldn't be easy to part with the cash, it is so worth it. 
for me, the thing that best helps to keep the peace is to NOT punish etc when my older ds hits etc.  instead, i try to understand why he did it and empathize.  for my ds, having a new brother continues to be a huge shock and i try to be on both of their sides as much as i can.  when ds1 feels loved and happy, he is much less likely to lash out, when he feels like he is 'bad', he acts that way.   of course, i still lose it sometimes, but usually this just sets us into...
  finally have a great nip pic to share with mothering, so sad it was too late to put in the magazine.  we're hanging out in aruba.  at least 20 people walked right by us and nothing but smiles!
Diana, I am so thrilled by your reply!  The WAB is just fantastic, thanks for that too!
this may sound crazy, but...if i need something done (like cleaning up the toys, etc) because it's driving ME nuts, then i do it- even though of course i didn't make the mess.  sometimes they pitch in, sometimes not.  it has helped me a lot to let go of 'they should do this or that because i want them to'.  i am actually a lot happier without those thoughts (see: the work by byron katie) even though i am cleaning up more.  i don't want my children helping because they...
is it possible this big brother feels jealous that he doesn't have a playmate?  i know my sons get upset if one has a friend around and the other doesn't.  he might feel like he needs to bother the little kids less if he has someone to pal around with, maybe even a slightly older kid who behaves in a more acceptable way- this could be a good model.   i had a friend whose son went through a stage like this too.  he started hoarding toys, hitting, etc (he was younger,...
i used pam and louise with midwifery care associates in pennington for my homebirth, and i could not have imagined a better experience.  they are just fantastic!
My husband has a work thing in Atlanta for the first week in November. I will be tagging along with our boys (5mos and 3yrs). I will be alone with the kids from 9-5 each day. Any recs for fun and manageable activities? Should I rent a car or is the Metro easy and enough to get around (we're staying near one of the stops)? Anybody want to meet up? Thanks all! April
we put ds in the coolibar suits until...well, he's 2 and i still do! he's covered from wrist to ankles. i find i feel so much more relaxed. a few times we tried shorts and a swim top and i was reapplying the sunblock so often! also, i have had some flight attendents say you can't keep the baby in the soft carrier on the plane. flying with an infant is pretty easy (especially compared to a toddler). i worried about it way more than i needed to before our first...