or Connect

Posts by gradmama

Quote: Originally Posted by Carita Well - I e-mailed my advisor todya to tell him I am pregnant. I will be 13 weeks on Saturday, so it was about time to fess up. I have been so sick, I havent' been able to get anything done. brandi - the loans are worth it to have FT childcare. I thought I could be flexible with my son, but I only got bare minimum done, and it wasn't enough. Have you looked into applying for external fellowships this fall that will...
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades Yes, indeed. I think I'm going to have to ration my "free" time pretty heavily. Do you mind sharing your topic? It sounds like we're looking at similar topics from a different perspective. The prof who I think will be my thesis advisor gave me a great idea for an end-of-term paper for history of sexualities this week based on my interests. I'm hoping when I go to the archives, I will find there's enough...
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades Hmmm...is everyone on this thread at the end of the journey. I'm at the very beginning, so I'm hoping there are some others who aren't at the dissertation/job search phase. After a tremendous amount of soul-searching, I've decided to get a master's degree in gender studies and then a doctorate in history (focus on history of family/sexuality). Though I'd love to get a PhD in gender studies, I just don't think...
Hello, While I haven't experienced this specific problem, my dd13 has experienced some bullying. In your situation I would immediately email the teacher and cc the principal. The kids who are doing this need to be stopped immediately! I can understand the trepidation on your ds's and your part in terms of coming forward, but I'm guessing that if they kids doing this are doing it to him they are doing it to others so I'm thinking it could be handled anonymously. So...
The PP explained the math part - i just want to say that while a B is going to (sadly) lose the 4.0, a 3.98 or 3.96 probably does not put you out of the running for scholarships. Usually a 4.0 isn't enough on its own and a 3.96 with additional requirements (extra-curriculur, letters of rec, etc.) met is just fine. That first B that wrecks the 4.0 is hard as hell, but in the long run....... I wouldn't drop the class.
I should be sleeping but I'm not..... I'm a second year in a Sociology Phd program. I'm currently working on the mandatory MA thesis - well, I'm doing the research for the thesis. I need to have the thesis defended by Dec 09. I'm 31 and a single mama of three girls 11, 13, and 14. I'm right now trying to write a conference paper (for a conference in 3 weeks) and must finish, okay start, grading the 80 ten-page final papers that are sitting here. Oh, and I have to...
Good for you! That's fantastic!
How many classes are you taking? I'm assuming you're actually past the drop period. One of the things I would do is to go talk to a counselor. Given your circumstances, perhaps they could get you a "special" withdrawal that is "excused." One semester I got pleurisy and was able to withdraw with a excuse and it didn't really look bad. I got into grad school. But assuming that isn't the case, my thoughts are as follows: you might withdraw from one or another course so...
Quote: Originally Posted by suwannee I am curious though what 12 credit hours of doctoral work is like. Should I plan for full time daycare? How much time is usually spent on PhD work outside of classes- like beginning research projects, etc? Is this doable with three kids under 5? My DH is fully supportive of this and really encouraging me on it. I would love to be back in school but I do not want my kids in daycare 40 hours a week either. Some...
Quote: Originally Posted by AlwaysByMySide I also just want to clarify that I don't think he needs to be a 'second dad'. But to be a completely emotionally detached person to the kids, not be interested in spending time with them ("babysitting"), etc...I wouldn't want to be with someone who would want nothing to do with my children. There are plenty of adults in my kids' lives that enjoy spending time with them, are interested in things they are doing...