or Connect

Posts by indigosky

That's all true, but it seems to me that people are likely to ask right out, "Was she vaccinated?" and the honest answer to that is no. I don't think I'll be comfortable lying. There are other parents in the school (friends of the family) who know the truth, and the principal knows because he granted our exemption. But it was the first one he ever granted in his 3 years as principal, so it's not like there are lots of kids with vaccine exemptions. So if we successfully...
DD is partially vaccinated, and we are thinking through what it would look like to go to a chicken pox party and try to get infected. She is school age and we have an exemption, but no one knows this. So coming down with chicken pox would "out" us about having a child who is not 100% vaccinated. Given the hatred directed at non-vaccinators (in media, on Facebook, etc), we're worried about how we'd navigate it, and help DD navigate it. She is old enough that she would know...
DD is in kindergarten and is saying she doesn't like school because the teacher yells a lot. She says she doesn't want to go to school, is asking to go to a different school or be homeschooled. Short of switching her to a different school, does anyone have advice on helping a child with this issue? Changing to a different class within the school is not an option. She is a "good," rule-following kid, and the teacher has told her, "When I'm yelling, I'm never yelling at...
Don't worry, I have already signed up to volunteer in many ways. But part of what I see happening in conversations and meetings among parents is people trying to figure out solutions to things that are totally not unique to this school. And I'm a researcher at heart, so my way of coping with a lot of the insanity I see is to start learning about how other places do things.
I'm the original poster -- I was able to borrow both a toddler and a preschool Kinderpack for a few days each. I liked them a lot but I wasn't swooning in love like it seems like so many people are. I wasn't able to borrow a Tula, but the Tula return policy seemed relatively fair and reasonable (i.e., if I bought one and didn't like it I could return it), so I took the chance and bought a toddler Tula. I've been happy with my purchase and plan to keep it. Overall I think...
I'm very new to being a public school parent -- my older DD started kindergarten at an urban public school last month. As I've begun to get involved with the PTA and various other groups of parents that want to advocate for changes within the school and the school district, I feel like a lot of what we discuss is probably re-inventing the wheel. Is there some nonprofit, thinktank, or other organization that summarizes successes that other public schools are having,...
My kindergartener has been complaining about her L.L. Bean backpack for years (throughout preschool). For whatever reason (she has many!), she doesn't like it. She would love a Disney princess backpack but I've told her no, we don't buy licensed character stuff. But she still wants a new backpack. Any suggestions of where to find a backpack she and I are both likely to love? I'm not picky as long as it's easy for her to manage (no weird buckles/buttons), holds her stuff...
How old was your child when you read him/her Charlotte's Web? In retrospect, how do feel about the decision?
I'm trying to decide which one to buy for wearing my toddler. Can anyone who has tried both give me a sense of what the differences are? From the photos I'm wondering if the child is higher on the wearer's back in the Tula -- it looks like that might be the case?
I am currently borrowing a toddler-size Kinderpack from a neighbor to "try before I buy," and both DD (21 months) and I agree it is more comfortable than our Ergo. However, there are two things I'm not liking so much: 1) When she's on my back, it feels like she's having more difficulty seeing things around us. In an Ergo it was easy for her to lean over to one side and see around me. In the KP, when she's straining to see something, I often had to turn sideways for her...