or Connect

Posts by indigosky

I'm the OP -- here was this morning's situation. 5 year old gets out a baby hairbrush. 1 year old desperately wants the hairbrush, is reaching and lunging for it and crying. I tell 1 year old that she can play with it when 5 year old is finished with it, try to distract her. Distraction with other toys doesn't work. 1 year old's crying and lunging continues as 5 year old plays with brush (really, just lies on her bed with the brush handle in her mouth) for 5 minutes, just...
When it comes to sharing toys between siblings, do you let one child keep a toy until they finish playing with it (and put it down)? Or do you set a timer and switch after a certain number of minutes? We do allow each child to have some special toys that are theirs and don't get shared. But this question is about the general pool of toys that are expected to be shared. The siblings in our family are 5 1/2 and 1 1/2.
I need to get a dental filling. I'm going to ask my dentist on Monday about BPA-free options, but from my extensive Googling/reading just now, it sounds like there may not be good alternatives. We'll see. If I end up getting dental fillings that have BPA, does anyone know anything about how to reduce my nursing baby's exposure? My understanding is that there's more BPA-exposure in the early hours when a filling is new than later on. Should I be pumping and dumping? Does...
Did anyone sending a child to public school in Albany, NY succeed in getting a religious exemption? I would love to learn more. Feel free to send me a private message if you'd rather not post publicly. We are just beginning the process of trying.
That's all good stuff, but those are things we already do -- I don't think she sees that as "learning math." She is interested in adding and subtracting, which I think she thinks of as "real math," so I guess I'm thinking about how to help her learn more about that, besides the verbal adding and subtracting games we already play. (Like, we'll be on the bus and I'll have her count the people on the bus, and then when the bus stops and people get on or off, I have her do the...
My 5 year old DD is in preschool and will start kindergarten (public school) in September. Today in a conversation where she was adding and subtracting the members of our family, I told her what she was doing was math, and she said, "I can't wait to learn math!" I try to be aware of bringing math concepts into our everyday life, but I wonder if this is a window of interest I should seize on. But what should I do? Pick up a pre-K/K math workbook at Rite-Aid? i don't want...
We always enjoy making our own to give to DD's classmates, but I need new ideas. What have you done that's come out well, your kid enjoyed making, weren't insanely time-consuming? DD is 5.
Yes, I was just about to post to recommend this book! It's a great read, and even if you can't or don't want to adopt "the French way" of dealing with kids and food, I found it had a lot of good ideas, positive ways of talking with kids about food, reminders I found helpful. (For instance, since reading it we've pretty much eliminated snacking after 4 p.m., which I used to allow, as long as the snacks were healthy foods. Now when DD says she's hungry at 4, I say, "That's...
My sister-in-law is considering whether it makes sense for her to give birth there (Danville) or farther east toward Philly. Just gathering experiences to try to help get them more info. Any others?
Does anyone have any experiences to share, or specific ones you'd recommend? I'm helping my sister-in-law who is pregnant with her first and planning a hospital birth.