or Connect

Posts by indigosky

I know there are tons of companies now that produce photo calendars -- I upload cute photos of my kids and they make it into a calendar. Does anyone know of a photo calendar company that will allow me to put two photos on the same page, one much bigger than the other? I think my ideal would be to have the small photo overlap or be on top of a corner of the big photo. Even better, just let me design the layout myself with re-positionable, adjustable photo boxes, rather...
It would be cool if you or a Mothering editor could put out calls for photos from time to time. Maybe in specific forums where they're most likely to find what you're looking for? We all have adorable photos of our diverse kids and families, freckles, skinned knees, and all, and I bet many people would be proud to have their photos on the Mothering homepage.But more specific calls for photos might be useful, as in "We need photos of babies / kids doing schoolwork / moms...
The ones I see there today do look a little better overall, but it still looks to me like there's been a fundamental shift. The photos all look like stock images rather than "real people." I'm guessing there's been some behind-the-scenes change -- maybe the previous images were also stock images, but from a different company, different photographer, different person selecting them... the "feel" is extremely different!
Good questions. While those are all reasonable reasons, I think it's simply that there's a pretty powerful rule that says Jews Don't Have Christmas Trees. At least in the Jewish circles I traveled in, it simply wasn't done -- it was almost seen as a defining part of what makes being Jewish different than "mainstream" (=Christian) culture. Jewish parents might decorate a houseplant so their kids had a place to hang the ornaments they made in school, or even give their child...
My family is Jewish (not particularly religious), my partner's family is Christian (not particularly religious). For 19 years of our relationship we've never had a Christmas tree and never cared. Since having kids we've observed both Hanukkah and Christmas. As DD got older we put some ornaments on a big houseplant. But last year, when she was 4, she insisted that "next year, I want to get a real Christmas tree." Having a Christmas tree makes me really uncomfortable. But...
[Moderator: I'm not sure where this kind of "feedback" post belongs, so feel free to move this.] I haven't been at MDC in a few weeks, but I just went to the homepage and the new photos are awful! The first four show only white people/bodies. Overly tweezed eyebrows, pearl earrings, photoshopped light blue eyes -- where are the "real," imperfect but beautiful photos that used to make this site different than mainstream white bread representations of families? Please bring...
I think the grandparent is trustworthy. Likely to forget, but so is DD, so I guess when one of them remembers, it will happen, otherwise it won't. And I think her values around allowance are very much in line with ours, which is exactly why she got excited about contributing.
We just started giving DD (4 1/2) an allowance of $1/week in coins, to be divided as she chooses among 3 banks (college, donate, and personal). One of her grandparents who cares for her one afternoon a week got excited about the idea and asked if it would be OK if she gave her a quarter for each bank each week. Does anyone see any risks/harm/downsides to letting her do this?
My DD2 could roll from front to back and back to front reliably. But around 8 months, as she got busy crawling and pulling herself to standing, she seems to have forgotten how. Now at 9 months if I put her on her back she's like a stuck turtle. She honestly doesn't spend much time on her back now (except for diaper changes) because she's so busy being on the move, exploring everything, getting into trouble. Once she could roll back to front I started putting her down to...
You might also be interested in this thread about when babies started sleeping through the night on their own if the parents never nightweaned: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1163861/moms-who-never-nightweaned-when-did-your-kid-stop-night-nursing-on-their-own