or Connect

Posts by indigosky

We're having similar issues, though not identical. DD is 4 3/4 and has been a fantastic sleeper for for two solid years -- fell asleep relatively easily on her own, slept 11+ hours through the night without a problem. Then last month, she very suddenly started having huge sleep issues -- doesn't want to be alone at bedtime, wakes up panicky in the night, wakes up earlier in the morning. In the course of a few weeks her average sleep went from 11+ hours to about 9. The...
Hi MotheringMommy, I'm sorry to hear you're going through this, too! I should tell you first that our DD (now a few months short of being 5) did revert to being TOTALLY fine within weeks or not too many months (I'm guessing it was 2-6 weeks) from when I posted this. So there is hope for you! Things have been so completely fine for so long recently that I had to think hard to try to remember what we did that seemed to help. I think there were two things: 1) The same-age...
I read that one can grow mini-pumpkins (2-3 inches across) in a large container. It sounded like great fun for kids, so we tried it this year for the first time. Our pumpkin plants grew beautifully for the first part of the summer -- they have huge leaves and started putting out buds. Then the sad part began. It looks like something is eating through each stalk just below the bud. One stalk got far enough along to produce two flowers, but today they, too, seem to be...
Tell me more! What's the policy, exactly? Is it a particularly "crunchy" preschool or community?
I'm interested in others' opinions about heavier vs. lighter. Our DD is 4.5 and has gotten really into hula hooping this summer. We have a relatively heavy one now, which is what she uses mostly, but she said that at her summer camp they had lighter ones, which she could do on her neck, keep several hula hoops going at once, etc. She says the one at home is too heavy to do on her neck. So I was figuring that we should try to buy lighter ones, and that the make-it-yourself...
Where would you look? I just called our local Target and they said they don't have any anymore.
DD is 4.5 and hasn't seen any Disney princess movies. She's aware of the concept of "the princesses" mostly because of other kids at her preschool, but it's vague. She does know some of the fairy tales because we read non-Disney versions. I'm thinking of letting her see some of the movies eventually, but I'd love to delay for a while -- I feel like it would be downright weird, sort of culturally illiterate, to grow up never having seen some of these famous Disney movies...
Our 2 DDs (4 1/2 years, and 6 months) share a bedroom. As of recently, DD2 is doing well sleeping in her crib for the first part of the night (until now she's been in our bed 100% of the time), and that's working well for all of us. However, loud white noise seems to be part of the key for her. Our question is, is it bad for our 4 1/2 year old to sleep a good part of her night with white noise blasting? Has there been any research on the effects of white noise on older...
Another "gentler" but effective (in my experience with 2 children) book is The Baby Whisperer Solve All Your Sleep Problems. Same idea mentioned earlier, the baby does cry, but the parent is right there with them, soothing and even picking the baby up as many times as needed. The baby does learn to fall asleep in the crib themselves. Honestly, it's much easier on the parent than listening to your baby scream and knowing they feel abandoned! I believe she says it can work...
I've had to leave for work once since DD2 was born, when she was 4 months old. (I'm lucky enough to work from home, but would normally have many more "out of the house" work days in August and September, assuming we have a childcare situation that will work for her by then.) The day I left for work, I had to be gone for 3 hours, in the evening. We set up MIL up to wear DD most of the time I was away, thinking she'd sleep. Instead, it seems she cried nearly the whole 3...