or Connect

Posts by indigosky

We were hoping to go tent camping this summer (had great fun last summer with our then 3 1/2 year old) and are thinking through if we can pull it off this summer now that we have an infant. Our usual sleeping arrangements at home with the babe are baby co-sleeping in mom & dad's bed. Now that she can roll she chooses to sleep on her front (usually not touching/snuggling with anyone). When it was colder, we all wore extra layers to sleep, and kept the blankets down low for...
I hope you're right that it's a stage! Hearing that it changed by around 12 months offers hope -- most others who had a similar challenge (I posted a related thread on a slightly different topic) said it wasn't until age 2 or beyond. Although if it's "just a stage," it's been her entire life so far, birth to 5 1/2 months!I don't think MIL wears any strong perfumes or scents, and I don't think it's an uncomfortable jewelry/clothing issue, either.Are there people who...
Our challenge is that not allowing herself to be held by my MIL didn't start at some "developmentally typical" stage -- it began when she was a newborn, just a week or two old. She sees her once a week, when MIL comes to our house to care for DD1. (She would like to be caring for both children, but DD2 generally won't last with her for more than 15 minutes at a time.) DD2 is very different from DD1 in this way -- DD1 was perfectly happy to be held and cared for by a wide...
My DD2 (now 5 months) has strong opinions about who she is happy being held by, and how long she will allow various different friends and relatives to hold her before she starts to cry. My poor MIL, with whom DD often gets fussy with sooner than with others, has suggested to me many times that this is because DP and I wore her a great deal in her early months and slept snuggled with her -- that she literally became more "attached" to my/our smells/sounds/motion/whatever....
A natural fabric like hemp? Or something else?
Just for clarification, do you mean put the doubler against her skin, not inside the pocket diaper? Or inside the pocket, but the doubler would be the first thing the pee reaches, on top of the other inserts?
Oh, good idea! Why didn't I think of that?
Yep, same diapers as from DD1. I washed and lanolized the cover this week, but didn't do as heavy a re-lanolizing as I could have. Stripping it all -- I hadn't thought of that. That's certainly an option. I've mostly been using only hemp inserts in the pocket diapers at night. I guess it's worth trying stripping them first, before buying new, but add that to the list of brainstormed ideas! I can search this site or Google, but if you have good stripping instructions or...
I'm an experienced cloth diaper mama. DD1 was in cloth from birth to potty-learning, and we did fine at night with Bum Genius diapers stuffed with 2 or 3 inserts (hemp or microfiber), and a wool cover. Now DD2 comes along and nighttime isn't going so well. She's 5 months old, but the same system isn't working consistently. Many mornings she wakes up soaking wet. It seems like pee may be leaking out of the top of the diaper and getting her pajamas wet (I need to pay more...
Hang in there, MRubio! Even if your little one really needs to be worn right now (I feel your pain -- I just wanted a shower!), and the various "tricks" like swaddles and side-lying don't work, don't give up. Maybe try putting him down for a nap once a day or even once a week, either to "practice" or to see when it seems like things are changing a little. And keep experimenting! I highly recommend experimenting with LOUD white noise -- a radio tuned to static, or you can...