or Connect

Posts by indigosky

Anyone else have experience with this? It's sounding like age 2 is about the earliest we're likely to have success ...
Did anyone have any luck trying to take some action to improve the relationship? Or is it just hopeless until the baby/kid changes his/her mind? The grandmother in question was supposed to be our primary childcare person (as she is for our older daughter) when I go to work part-time, and it's sort of a mess to have the baby crying inconsolably every time the grandmother holds her for more than 15 minutes. Keep the experiences coming -- it's very interesting to hear how...
Interesting stuff. In our case, as far as we can tell her opinion doesn't seem to extend to other grandmothers/old ladies. Just this one. Maybe it has to do with style/mannerisms, or maybe this one has lost DD's trust because she tries to calm her when she cries (unsuccessfully), rather than handing her back to mama as most relatives do. It's an interesting theory about intense eye contact, though -- this grandmother's style is probably more "in-your-face" eye contact...
To make a long story short, our 5 month old DD doesn't like her grandmother. Our experience so far is that she's happy to be held and cared for by other people, but with one of her grandmothers she cries. My question is, if you had a similar experience with a baby who didn't like a specific person, was there an age at which this changed and the baby became more comfortable with this person? Our baby has seen this grandmother pretty much once a week since birth, so the...
This isn't really an answer to your question, but you might want to check out the Baby-Led Weaning book, in case it inspires any more ideas about low-stress, healthy approaches to solids (foods he might like, etc).
I'm the OP and just wanted to post an update for anyone who may be reading this in the future. A little past her 5 month birthday DD made a big shift, and the naps in her crib started working much better. I've experimented a lot and concluded that this combo works for her: - a simple pre-nap ritual (diaper change, shades down, white noise on, short lullabye in the rocking chair, laying her down in the crib) - white noise -- makes a huge difference in how fast & easily she...
Do you leave your holiday-themed children's books (Halloween, Easter, Passover, Christmas, Hannukah, etc) on your kids' bookshelves year-round? Or do you put them away with each holiday's supplies"and bring them out at the "appropriate" time of year? Whatever your choice, tell me why, and if it's worked well for you. I argue this one in both directions inside my own head. :-)
We are a selective vax family. I'm wondering if others bring siblings to each other's doctor's appointment where they'll see a sibling get a shot. Or do you make an effort to bring them separately so they won't witness this?
I think the same approach could work fine with disposable diapers -- step one would be that he can still poop in a diaper but he has to do it in the bathroom, because "that's where people poop." Backing off linking it to going to school makes a lot of sense, too.
We had a similar issue with DD, who only wanted to poop in a diaper for a LONG time, well after age 3. She had a particular way she liked to squat, in a particular place. What ended up working very well for us was making a series of rules, one at a time, presented days in advance. The first rule was that she could still squat and poop in a diaper, but she had to do it in the bathroom. Once she was good at that and uncomplaining about it, the next rule was that she could...