or Connect

Posts by TinyMama

DD is turning 7 in a few weeks and her chosen birthday party theme is "Wizards Chess." It combines her two favorite things--Harry Potter and chess.   Oy.   She has friends at school, and she fits in very successfully.  She does not really share the super geek aspects of herself with them.  But this is the party she wants, and she has invited mostly home friends (who do know her) and a few school friends.   What in the world can I do to make this a successful party?...
Thanks for the replies and the sympathy.  :)   grumpybear, it's hard to picture this teacher never having had a quiet smart kid, isn't it?  The school does have a gifted pullout, but it starts in 3rd grade and is only for 1 hour per week.     Geofizz--yup, as Miranda said, we're on top of both of those things. :) DD definitely needs to be able to speak up, but she does show the ability to do so when she feels comfortable.  We are working on that skill in all kinds of...
Here's the update. Things look a little better now.  It's mostly thanks to DH, who was very very good with this teacher.  He was calm and thoughtful, and didn't wear his emotions on his face like I do.  :)   Basically the teacher acknowledged that DD can easily do every skill she is asked to do, but that the lack of communication is creating a barrier in several areas.  Not socially, b/c DD has friends and does talk to them, but between DD and the teacher.  When the...
Okay, ladies.  We got the report card today, and tomorrow is the conference.     DD's report card was mixed.  She is not "failing" anything except for any category that has to do with communication.  Every single paper and test that has come home has had a 100% on it, so I think that her lack of communication in school is really what is sinking her right now.  Luckily it's only second grade, and we're not really interested in the grades (besides what it says about the...
Yup--I would just label this as it is.  "So sorry you can't find anyone to watch little Joey!  We would be happy to have him [fill in the blank with a date/time that would work].  And we'd love to have dinner at your house, but we would be happy to just trade babysitting--wouldn't that be easier?  Can you pick up Timmy from school this Wednesday?"   I don't like it when people try to "pay" me back for watching their child.  If I am willing to take the child, I don't need...
I would "accidentally" drop a hint or two.  Like, "I know you want that, but I don't know if I'll--oops!  I mean Santa--will get it for you."     I have taught 5th grade for many years and have NEVER had a class that didn't talk about how obviously Santa didn't exist.  I do teach in a district with many Jewish families, so that may be part of it.  But a few years ago I had a student who really truly believed until the class disabused her of that belief, and she cried a...
I have absolutely no idea what they were thinking.  DD was skipped last year, right around this time.  She did a few weeks of kindergarten, and then the school placed her in 1st.  We could have said no, but they phrased it as, "We cannot provide her an appropriate education in her current grade."  All of the teachers and administrators who were involved agreed.  We decided not to go against their recommendation.  She did quite well in 1st, and her teacher was very...
Okay, here's the update.  I spoke to DD's teacher again yesterday.   Basically, she stated that DD's work is strong.  She also reiterated again that pressure at home is not a good idea, and that we should stop the music lessons.  I spoke up loudly and clearly and said AGAIN that DD is NOT under pressure at home--and she is not!  A weekly music lesson and occasional short practices are not what I would consider pressure.  The teacher said that DD had seemed a little more...
Thanks, grumpybear and Tigerle.  I have been playing this conference in my mind endlessly, and I appreciate the comments.   Grumpybear, I need very much to remember that a perception is just that.  We were with friends yesterday, and DD was chatting her head off with them--my DH actually told her to stop talking at some point so the adults could get a word in edgewise.  Also, she spoke politely and appropriately to her violin teacher this morning.  She barely knows him,...
She gets nothing out of it academically.  Nothing.  Of course the teacher asked me straight out if I felt DD was being challenged, and I (stupidly) said that she played the violin at home because it was important to us that she learns how to work hard at something.  Obviously that was just me being overbearing and pushy again.