or Connect

Posts by childsplay

Not so long ago I wouldn't have seen the big deal. But recently our neighbor started using our driveway to access his back lot. It freakin' infuriated me. First, it's my driveway, second, we paid huge amounts of money to get it paved and third IT"S MINE. I pay the taxes on it, I plow it in the winter. And he didn't even ask, if he had I'd probably would have said yes, but he didn't bother. So hoses on your lawn? And they didn't knock on your door first and ask? Darn...
They're older now so it's a non issue, but when they were toddlers and I was in a spot where I had no choice but to use a public washroom I either parked their stroller right outside the stall where I could see through the crack in the door or dragged the stroller in to the handicapped stall and turned it facing the door.
I guess I'm the unpopular opinion here. I simply don't let them in the bathroom. With the exception of them being wee infants in their basket on the bathroom floor while I showered, I never felt it nesessary for them to be in the bathroom with me. Nor do I/did I want them in there. I've always said "just a sec, Mama's got to pee" and shut the door. If they howled so be it, there's no way in heck they're watching me change my tampon. Some things IMO, just need to be done...
I read it, then read it again. My opinion? Rather than just enjoy their beautiful baby and raise him/her in the open (fantastic) way they're raising their older boys, they seem to be using her/him as a social experiment, something to gain attention and support their own beliefs and issues. Sounds harsh I know, but that's just the feeling I got from the article.
We brush in the kichen sink every morning. I love kitchen sinks, I've washed babies, clothes, diapers, teeth, dishes and dogs in my kitchen sinks. ( Not all at the same time : )
What gets me more is what she's teaching him....er...not teaching him. You know, privacy, respect for his body etc. For her to say go ahead and pee on that purple pole (in front of your peers, theirs parents/caregiver and anyone else who happens to be around) is irresponsible, to the kids who will climb all over it within two minutes but mostly to her little guy who should have been directed - or taken by her - to a nearby bush, rock or even to the edge of the...
Yes, DS wears either a tank style white undershirt (think old guy with beer gut style : ) or a plain white T under any shirt he wears. He grew up way South of here and claims that his body is just not built for this horrible, horrible climate and until we move he needs to keep himself warm. But he's a tad dramatic. DD wears undershirts if needed, which is often. I find a lot of girls shirts are either to short and ride up on her belly or way to big in the neck. (even...
Gross. The meat shorts made my stomach heave. All I can think of is rotten old meat on a hot beach.  
We grew up with a river in our backyard and I'm sure my Mother had more than a few panic attacks. (Although I was the first to fall in and I was 12 by then and it kind of served me right : ) But when we were small she nailed boundary markers to the trees , just like we had at school. They were bright orange and at our eye level (we'd have been 6 or so). She claims they worked .   Quote:  
We lived on a sailboat when our kids were younger (infant to school age). At sea, or on achor, or even at marinas, the biggest danger was falling off the boat and drowning, which could happen in a wink, especially with toddlers. From where I sit now, it seems scarier, but back then when we were living it, it was just life. The children adapted to the enviroment very quickly, they lived in lifevests, were often harnesses on lengths of rope anchored to the mast if we were...