or Connect

Posts by childsplay

I had a sip of DS's soda (Coke) the other day. I thought it tasted weird and said so. DH remarked that it was because there was no rum in it. And actually, he's right. I don't think I've had a soda that hasn't been mixed with something since....well, since I've been an adult. I mostly drink water, coconut water/milk and fruit nectar drinks (diluted with water). My kids though! They'll suck back 2 litres of grape soda, root beer or orange before I can say "what the...
I agree with the PP's. When our computer crashed we brought it to a friend of ours who has a small computer repair company. He was able to retrieve everything. But man oh man, when it first happened it was just sickening. Just the thought of losing all those baby pictures : (  
I could have written your post just_lily and I am so glad that I stumbled upon it today of all days. I am so done with this crap as well. I've been at it for three years and I'm so tired of being walked all over. I'm sick of being taken advantage of, of not getting paid on time, of parents not bothering to pick up their kids, of parents not bothering to drop their kids off on time (and I'm not talking by a few minutes here) tired of empty diaper bags, no snowpants, no...
I've flown a lot. My DH is a pilot and for years owned a seaplane (amphibious) . We flew all over the U.S,. and the Carribean in it, as well as in various other small aircraft just for fun. I've only flown in a helicopter once though and as far as commercial airflights go, I'm a rookie - I've only flown commercial twice.   ETA I'm 34 : )
  Butting in here.....while I know a three year old couldn't physically hold his own against a grown man or woman, he could have the knowledge and ability to defend himself in other ways. (screaming and yelling) or telling his mother anytime someone made him uncomfortable, or by not playing into adult's creepy advances, saying back off/don't touch me/go away from me/etc. My kids grew up in boatyards where there was every different flavor of crazy all the time. We had...
Can you put them down together? I used to wrap each one then lay them together on their sides in their pram or basket (whichever was handier) then I'd cover both together with a large receiving blanket, tucking it in snug behind DS's back and DD's belly. This was how they slept and napped until they were big enough to go foot to foot in the crib. DS used to flop his arm over DD when they slept.   My thoughts were, they crave comfort and warmth and who better...
My kids still spill a lot too. (Particularly if they're anywhere but the kitchen!) They can drink from open cups all they want in the kitchen, however they need to fill a water bottle if they want to take it anywhere else in the house. Since they only drink water (no juice/milk) I'm not terribly concerned if the odd cup makes it's way out of the kitchen or a water bottle gets knocked over in the hallway.   I chose other. Does she take a water bottle to school? Maybe...
I am such a dolt! We had a bean teepee - I just didn't know it could be used for play! Or that it even had a name! My boys and I built one to promote the vining of the beans. Seriously, these little guys worked their tails off building it! DS, then 7, chopped the limbs to length with his hatchet and was so proud of himself. We worked for a full afternoon guiding the little shoots up the teepee.....no wonder I kept finding the boys inside once it was a full blown bean...
It's winter here so we have (white-ishy) stuffing from an on-the-way-to-the-garbage throw pillow as snow. The little fleks of brownish cotton strewn throughout the white are designated as dog poop according to my boys. We have large pine cone 'trees', small dome shaped shelters made from vines for our tiny pinecone fairies and fisherfolks. Our ocean is a large flat piece of blueish shale with a little wooden dory (compliments of a tacky x-mas wreath found at the dollar...
I love this!   When my children were younger we led a very Waldorf -inspired life....however, as time moved on and my children moved into the public system, and we were surrounded more and more with mainstream culture we kind of lost it. Two months ago I took a good look at my home daycare playspace and my life, our home and our children, and saw nothing but plastic, chaos and general unhappiness. My own children (8, 6 & 6) were spending more time in front of the...