or Connect

Posts by Rosebud1

OP here.....   Well so it continues.   My daughter had a playdate at a friend's house yesterday .  We have told them she is on a restricted diet and sent a full lunch for her.  She was only going to be there for an hour or so.  In the space of an hour she was given a packet of fruit "chews" in crazy colors, cookies, a glass of milk and a strangley pink "bun".  They are from another culture where I thought it would be extremely rude to turn down their food.  She...
Sigh....   I have been doing so much research into healthy eating.  My child has some chronic issues that doctors have not been able to address (asthma,etc).   Basically we want our child to eat whole, healthy food without preservatives, colors, dyes or too much sugar.  And we aren't huge on juice.   You would think this was the most radical, unheard of thing ever.   Adults in our lives are undermining us.  My MIL gives our child dairy whenever she...
I am slowly dipping my toe into the world of Weston Price!   I eat a lot of raw almonds.  I tried to sprout them (soaked for one day, rinsed three times a day for three days, let drain), but they would not sprout.  They did get larger, softer, and lose their flavor.  My three year old said, "they taste like seeds".  Is that a good thing?   A friend said I would have to buy unpasturized, raw, organic almonds to be able to sprout.  I can't afford those right now. ...
I have been very blessed to stay home with my child for 3.5 years.  I do babysit part time, but am able to bring my child along.  This time together has been very valuable to me.   I have some feelings of trepidation about preschool.  I don't think I want to send her.  I am not sure why.  Maybe I don't want to give up authority or control.  Maybe I like having some say over her friends or who she interacts with.  Maybe I just like being around her often to give her...
Ah, the whole "age appropriate" thing......  In my opinion, my DD's behavior and temperment are worse than what one could expect for her age.  I feel like there can be the attitude of, "well she's three.  You should expect her to be a nightmare".   Somehow I don't want to subscribe to this theory.  I think she doesn't feel well, and people are generally more irritable and short tempered when they don't feel well.   The ironic thing is we were visiting relatives for...
  I don't have a lot of insight but will be watching this thread avidly, as we are in similar boats!   I have a 3.5 y.o. DD who had the cough that would not go away (for three months) this winter.  She also had purple rings under her eyes.   Now, in June, she has developed a cough again unaccompanied by a cold.  So I don't know if it is allergies, asthma, or what.  She has also been very ill-tempered and subject to explosive tantrums.   My hesitation...
mispost!
I don't struggle too much with weight but I do have a tendency to eat certain foods compulsively.  "The End of Overeating" book, which outlines how the food industry is deliberately putting chemicals in food to mess with brain chemistry and our barometers of satiation, really struck a chord with me.  Last month I gave up sugar because I wasn't able to eat desserts and sweets moderately or responsibly.  When my DC was struggling some respiratory issues at the same time,...
Gosh, I can relate to this thread.   I actually think I am getting  TOO cheap!  If that is possible!   I get severe sticker shock whenever I enter a normal store, I am so used to thrift store shopping and getting free hand me downs from generous friends!  I'm like, I can't believe people pay this much for stuff!  And I really dislike buying new when used will do.     I have been in the market for hiking boots (sorely needed) for.... six months!  I would actually...
OP here.....   Wow, this thread has spun off in some really interesting directions. I've enjoyed the ride!     To clarify, my family's financial struggle is not too serious.  We are putting food on the table.  Everyone's basic needs are being met.   And I am making some income to help out a little.  In fact, our quality of life is quite wonderful and I feel like we are building community in our present situation.  I am just a little nervous that we are cutting it...