or Connect

Posts by 3*is*magic

Quote: Originally Posted by lotusdebi My oldest child is 7 and has high-functioning autism, SPD, and probably ADHD. He's very impulsive for his age. I still deal with his tantrums and running away. I'm not the perfect parent. Not by a long shot. And I'm not anti-punishment. But, forcing a child even older than my own into a harness seems overly punitive. It also seems like something one would to do purposely humiliate a child. There are other options....
Quote: Originally Posted by Evan&Anna's_Mom Yes, but you are her mother. The OP is not a parent and thus I think has less leeway in imposing consequences. Honestly, I would be really upset if any caregiver for my elementary-school-aged child than a discussion, an end to an activity or a request for them to remove themselves for the situation until they could be calm and rational. I disagree. The child's mother allowed her to take the...
Interesting. I see this as a safety issue. If my oldest (7 y.o. DD) runs from me on an unfamiliar, darkening street where there might be traffic and refuses to listen to me requests to walk with me, then I will use whatever is at my disposal to keep her safe. Dusk is the most dangerous time to be walking - it is hard for pedestrians to be seen by drivers. I would rather my (uncooperative) child be humiliated than hit by a car. I wouldn't trust an angry 9 year old to...
Quote: Originally Posted by lnitti She is 2. The class is a primary class generally ages 3-5. As young as she is, I honestly think she would not eat something without asking an adult first. But that adult may not be me if she is at school, it would be a teacher. But if an adult gives it to her, she may think that means it is ok. That of course is not the situation this time since it was in her folder, and not handed to her. However, there is always...
I have a food allergic child - my oldest (7 years old) is allergic to peanuts. If the teacher is giving out a treat that is not being consumed at school, I have no expectation at all that my child's treat will be allergen free. My daughter is given treats (for birthdays, holidays, etc.) that are to be taken home to enjoy all the time. Sometimes they have peanuts in them, sometimes they don't. She has been instructed to never consume a treat without checking the...
If you committed to being in her wedding, you should make every possible effort to do so. I'd find a way to make it happen.
Quote: Originally Posted by nummies ...you tell your toddler "no" repeatedly, he looks at you, understands what you are saying, and does it anyway? Example: "No. Nathan do not dump that water over." He looks straight at my face, gives me a little smile, and dumps the water over. My instinct was to reach out an smack him! I didn't, but I sure did want to. What am I supposed to do in this situation? I had to check that this wasn't a...
I am a little surprised by the responses to the OP. She is making her kids kid friendly meals that (I am assuming) they LIKE but are refusing to eat and then gorging themselves on snacks, and everyone thinks she's being uptight? I would have a real issue with my kids refusing to eat breakfast or other meals and then expecting to gorge on snacks - even healthy ones - an hour later. It's a waste of food and snack foods like cheese sticks are expensive. I would be...
Quote: Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree I understand the good intentions you have. I am wondering though, how the reverse situation would be taken - someone states her intention to cloth diaper, and a friend gives her a disposable, on the basis that it is for emergencies and could come in handy one day. This, exactly.
I'd not worry. Taking steps at 7 months is VERY early for walking. 12 months is about average, and lots of kids don't walk at all until 15 or 16 months. It doesn't sound as though he "lost" a skill, but that he tried something he wasn't ready for and returned to more age appropriate behavior. It reminds me of a friend who called me up when her baby was 10 or 12 days old and had rolled over independently - she was amazed! But then the baby didn't do it again until he...