or Connect

Posts by Yooper

Quote: Originally Posted by limabean I wouldn't mind receiving a donation, but I wouldn't give one because I know a lot of people don't like them. That said, it's been implied several times in this thread that the only alternative is buying a bunch of "junk." What about a simple, thoughtful gift that isn't junk? What about embroidering a few hankies, or framing a nice photo of your kids, or giving a pretty ornament, or a DVD/popcorn/cozy blanket? I'm...
Quote: Originally Posted by ~pi : First of all, I think it's a lovely gift. I have given (and received) donations for Christmas. Usually something tangible, i.e. livestock for a village, support for a girl to go to school in the third world country where I lived and worked with a women's education group, a gift cert to kiva.org, etc. I think it's extremely thoughtful of you to find an organization whose mission is likely to be meaningful to...
Quote: Originally Posted by lillian this thread really reinforces the fact that i am happy i do not celebrate christmas. and to the OP, i would be honored if you thought about what I cared about and made a donation to them instead of buying me some random blue sweater. Thanks
Quote: Originally Posted by JL83 Because it is the thought that counts. Instead of trying to find something that people want (and if someone wants a donation in their name, like my MIL and aunt, then that's perfectly fine) the OP decided to do what she wanted. The "thought" normally is about trying to find something that pleases both the giver and receiver. But in this case it's all about the giver. I will say it again. I do not know...
Quote: Originally Posted by North_Of_60 Ug.. I seriously don't get the drama. Uncomfortable with the "transaction"? You're not going to the bank, you're exchanging gifts. If it's so difficult to buy and give a gift without the "uncomfortableness of the transaction", so much so that you couldn't bare to keep it, I think you need to re-examine the relationships you have the people you're having these "transactions" with. What a bizarre thing to say....
Quote: Originally Posted by JL83 Sure. She found out their favorite cheese. But she failed to find out i they actually like cheese in the first place. Most people generally have a "favorite" even for things they don't like. I don't generally like sandwiches, but I have the ones I look for when I end up at an event (like a conference or meeting) and sandwiches are the provided lunch. Someone might think that egg salad is my "favorite"...
Quote: Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife Hopefully, you won't even know if they are truly disappointed, Yooper. I can't imagine, ever, complaining about any gift -- whether it was a donation in my name, or $30 worth of crap from the Dollar Tree, or an ugly xmas sweater I would never wear. No matter what, I would say thank you! If your family is that cold to say anything negative, to you or to others behind your back, then I don't think you will ever...
Quote: Originally Posted by Krisis All this talk of cheese has made me hungry. Me too! And ironically, while I was sitting here reading, the UPS man dropped off 5 pounds of blue CHEESE as a gift. Good timing.
Quote: Originally Posted by North_Of_60 It sounds to me, from reading this paragraph, that you have taken it upon yourself to do what YOU think is best for your family, instead of finding gifts that would be meaningful to them. This paragraph with all the points pertaining to why your family doesn't deserve "things" is really sad. Quite frankly, it's not up to you. I think you've completely missed what the point of gift giving truly is, not them. The...
What about bibs and booster/seatbelt use? Both dd and I wear bibs often in the winter when we are running errands. Having that extra layer on the legs makes it possible for us to wear lighter, less-compressible coats on top. Plus we are often "wading" in deep snow to our car and on the seldom-cleared sidewalks. It sounds weird but lots of people here wear bibs as a regular item of clothing. I am another one from a very cold climate and really taking a coat off for any...