or Connect

Posts by Yooper

Quote: Originally Posted by *Jessica* I think you did it perfectly! You personalized them by finding out the causes each individual supports and you put them in boxes and wrapped them so they will have something tangible to open. I am glad to know that this could go a positive way too I wish I could read minds or see into the future. That would help.....
Quote: Originally Posted by SuzyLee However, I do think that a donation in my name is a crap gift. So let me get this straight. You would rather have more "stuff" when you are trying to declutter...more "stuff" that used up the earth's resources, will eventually end up in a landfill, and might have been manufactured by people who are not paid enough or treated well....than to have money donated to a cause you support and care...
[QUOTE=GearGirl;14827027] Quote: Originally Posted by SuzyLee This is exactly right. I think this year I would love this as a gift since I am done with clutter, and I love the idea as a small token, but it is NOT a gift to the other person if it is something they don't want, it is a donation you are making. A really lovely thought, but so not what your family seems to want. If your gift is going to upset them, what is the point of giving it? It just...
Quote: Originally Posted by ChristyMarie We do the same thing. It may take your families a couple of years to come around but don't worry about it. Do what is right for YOUR family. And the message you are teaching your DD about giving is wonderful. Thanks! We do plan to do this every year.....unless we get disowned, that is.... I was tempted to send a letter to be read after Christmas explaining that we will do this every year and to...
Quote: Originally Posted by waterproofmascara I think it's a wonderful idea and I do the same thing for the adults in my family. I still get the little ones toys or books, depending on their needs and likes, but for the past few years I have donated to our local humane society in everyone's name. It sounds as if you and your dh really thought it through, and your family should be pleased. And if mil is so fragile that a donation will send her over the...
I posted some time ago that my dh and I were toying with gifting donations to family rather than physical gifts. There are all kinds of reasons why we wanted to do this, but that really does not matter now.... So we did our research, figured out what causes people support, donated in their names, and had the donation letters sent to us. I put them in boxes and wrapped them up. We are not spending the holidays with our family this year, so I mailed them all last week....
When a family requests donations to a church rather than flowers and you are not going to be physically attending the funeral, how do you actually do this? Do I send a check to the family or directly to the church? Do I send a note explaining who it is in memory of or does that matter?
I think it is technically illegal but people do it all. the. time. Our neighbor, who is a college student, rides his to school and back every day. In order to get from his house to the trail, he has to go on several streets. Not a night goes by that I do not hear someone driving past our house on one. As for sidewalks, they are not cleared during the winter here, so it is fine to do whatever you want on them.....if you can even figure out where they are The sidewalk...
Quote: Originally Posted by lindberg99 OK, I'll talk to him about it. Maybe he can find someone to work 1:1 with her on diving to help her figure it out. Yooper - I don't think they have to use the blocks but everyone does except the 8 and unders who are on the opposite side of the pool in 100 relays or 25 yd races. How deep is the water that they are supposed to dive in? The reason I would not dive, even though I knew how to dive, was...
Quote: Originally Posted by Maedze Seeking, you would be a lot more comfortable (and a lot safer) in a backless belt positioning booster. The Harmony booster at Toys R Us is only 20 dollars and really fits adults GREAT...plenty of leg support, wider seating area for mature hips. I would look into it in your shoes. Are there any backless boosters for adults who are over 100 pounds? And are they OK to use in the driver's seat? I am 120# and...