or Connect

Posts by Yooper

Quote: Originally Posted by Amys1st My MIL and mom both like to take at the end of harvest, the green tomatoes before the frost and make fried green tomatoes. That is what the recipe was designed for too. I do this too. I also pick all the green ones and ripen inside. We brought ours in around October 1 and we just ate the last one yesterday Fresh tomatoes in December for FREE!
Quote: Originally Posted by wholewheatchick Cool, from the forestry club? I was in the forestry club at Oregon State University when I went there. Anyway, don't put the tree in water. Leave the end uncovered, so that as the sap expands if it freezes, it can squeeze out the bottom of the tree. I would have them put it in the enclosed front porch, leaning into a corner. When you get home, cut the base off, like you said. And give the tree...
Quote: Originally Posted by Oubliette8 I really dislike Science Diet, if my pet needed a special diet, I would investigate other solutions besides Science Diet. That's me, personally. I would consult the K9KidneyDiet folks. I don't know enough about crystals to make any reccomendations, but they should have some great leads. i also googled struvite cystals in cats and found this blog on the first page- http://www.greenlittlecat.com/?p=56 Is there a...
I wish I could change the delivery date. It is through our local university's Forestry Club. It is a small operation and they deliver on one day only.
I ordered a tree to be delivered this year. Right after I did that, we discovered that we have to be out of town when it is going to be delivered. I have a neighbor that is willing to meet the delivery people and pay them. What should I have him to with the tree? It will be cold, between 20-40 degrees. We have an enclosed front porch and a garage, both will be just a little warmer than outside. We will be back 5 days after it is delivered. The neighbor is not going...
Quote: Originally Posted by sunnylady303 So we are on a tight grocery budget and I go to the store every two weeks both for budget reasons and because we live an hour from town. This last time I bought apples, pears, oranges, and bananas for my girls to have for snacks. They have to last two weeks. My younger dd (almost 4) will go and get an apple to eat (which I'm generally glad she does) and then I'll find it later with two bites out of it. Or...
I don't really get the balance bike thing. I guess I am just cheap. We got dd a used small bike when she was 4. We did not bother to remove the pedals. It was small enough that she could push it with her feet. Even with the pedals "in the way" she was able to scoot it. She did that for a few hours one day. The next she tried out the pedals. And that was the end of that. We would have spent as much time messing around trying to remove the pedals and chain stuff...
Yep. All the time! We use a wide mix of teens, down to age 13, up through college students. Dd enjoys the teens far more as they tend to play more. Dd's first ever real babysitting experience was with a 14 yo boy and his 12 yo sister. They did great. Dd is now well old enough to keep us informed of what happened while we are gone. But we also tend to "drop in" a lot, especially with new sitters. We want them to know right up front that there is no point in trying...
We are at around 30% but we live in a VERY low COL area. The pay is also low here so it sort of evens out. We lived in the far Boston suburbs for a couple of years when we first graduated from college. Our combined income was embarrassingly huge and we were not able to hit the 35% mark. Not even close. And we were living on the super cheap. So, yeah, it depends on where you live. I am not at all sure how to compute maintenance into the equation. We have a 120 yo...
Quote: Originally Posted by lolar2 Yooper, can't you freeze the extra coconut milk rather than double a recipe? Yes. I also use it enough that I could put it in the fridge and it would still be good when I needed it again. But that takes almost as much effort as just doubling the recipe. I would rather have extra prepared food than extra smidgens of random ingredients. Not that it is the *right* thing to do or that I even put any thought...