or Connect

Posts by Yooper

Quote: Originally Posted by womenswisdom Yes, the Convenia injection she got should be effective for the entire course. They've had this available in human medicine for quite a while - we're just catching up in the vet field. A prescription diet is a good idea if your cat has crystals. It keeps the urine within a certain pH range that discourages the formation of crystals. There are no OTC foods that will do this, any food intended to treat a...
Quote: Originally Posted by Oubliette8 I think its important to know what kind of crystals they are- I know in dogs you can get struvite or oxalate crystals, and each needs a different approach. I would recommend doing some research on this. From what I've read, one type of crystal tends to clear up on its own, the other needs diet control. However, vets tend to recommend long term prescription diets for both types. Even if your cat does need a long term...
Quote: Originally Posted by mnnice Nice post. DH and I are of different faiths, but this is a common value. We talk about when we eat meat that animals gave up their lives for the meal. My kids will ask sometimes, "Did this burger come from E's farm?" I would guess that your beets and turnip are fine. DH brought back some turnips from my folk's garden last week and he didn't even refrigerate them just put them in a basket in the...
Yesterday, my dh discovered something that looked like watery blood in the kitchen sink. We suspected a cat but could not figure out what it could be. I cleaned it up. Another one appeared later that night. We inspected each cat and saw nothing of concern. Then dh witnessed our younger cat peeing in the sink!!!! So I called the vet as soon as they opened this morning and got her in right away. They asked for a urine sample which amazingly, I was able to get as...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ksenia Way to go! Maybe I'll pull that off next year. Just to clarify, I didn't waste a lot of food, but there was some wastage and it was bad the one week that we were all sick . Oh! I did not think you did! I just found the discussion interesting because I know a lot of people who have stopped getting a CSA because they worried they wasted too much of it. When really, the grocery store probably wastes just as...
Quote: Originally Posted by GuildJenn Maybe we mean different sprout stages. I'll pop the buds off, but not if they are longer than a cm and the potato itself is mushy. None of the potatoes from my CSA had any sprouts on them actually; it's one of the things that awed me about fresh from the ground potatoes. We'll see how the stored-in-their-root-cellar ones too. Well these did not have big sprouts. Some had none. But they all had a green...
Quote: Originally Posted by cschick Eh? If you don't eat spouted potatoes, does that mean you're going through the bag and throwing away the ones that have already spouted the day you purchase them? There's always a couple potatoes in any bag I purchase that have already sprouted--but as long as they don't have a green undercast or have started to get soft and wrinkly, they're no different from their unspouted friends. You just pop the sprouts...
I also shop once a week and find it works well for me. I do find myself running to the store, but almost never for a meal ingredient. It seems there is always a potluck or cookies or someone who is sick that I end up having a surprise dish I need to make. Or I get a craving. Or the store was out of something on the day I shopped (a common occurrence as I do all of my shopping at our small co-op). But that is usually on foot and part of my walk anyway. One thing I...
Quote: Originally Posted by mom0810 Does anyone know how much food restaurants throw out every day? Grocery stores? Food gets wasted here every day. It's bought and paid for, people are getting work because of it, and it keeps the economy going. But there is a real cost outside of who is paying the grocery bill. All food requires resources. Resources that are shared by everyone on this planet. And is it really OK to routinely waste...
Quote: Originally Posted by mom0810 Better than not having enough food in the house in case I do need it for a recipe or something... Well, I am not going to touch the entitlement or resource argument, which I DO believe is quite valid in this case, but to address just this statement...... No, I do not think it is "better". Being creative and substituting a missing ingredient, deciding to wait to cook it until after you go to the store next,...