or Connect

Posts by Yooper

It KILLS me to waste food. so, we don't do it very often. I would guess less than 5%. I shop once a week and only buy what we will need for the meals for that week. I plan meals around what ingredients are likely to go bad first (usually produce). We love leftovers.....especially me, the cook And i have zero problem eating stuff past the "best by" date. In fact I buy most of our dairy in the "quick sale" area because it is usually half price and good for far past...
My craft area is in a room that is used for a bunch of other things. At first I used open shelving and just hung some pretty fabric in front of them when not in use. But I had troubles keeping pets, dust, and small children out of it all. So I picked up a couple of those cheapo assemble-yourself home office cabinets on freecycle. They were a little beat up but at least they were assembled and off-gassed already They have adjustable shelving so I tailor each one to my...
Quote: Originally Posted by ~pi "We're opting out of adult gift-giving this year. Rather than spending money on a bunch of gifts, we're making a donation to charity X and will be focusing on spending time together as a family. Feel free to adjust your plans accordingly. Or not, whichever you prefer." I think it's a little late to do that this year, but next year, you might consider a polite family email in September to that effect. Seriously, you do...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tigerchild It would be a little crazy to try and do something like this on this short of a turn around, but maybe for next year--have you considered compiling a family memory book to have printed and give to everyone? A family cookbook? Interviews with grandparents and parents (a la Day of Listening/NPR style, they even have questionaires on the web) which you can transcribe and pretty up and give to all the sibs as a...
Thanks everyone for responding! Dh and I are still on the fence here. We would not contribute to our own charities/causes but what each recipient cares about....if we know.....or what we think they would be happy to contribute to if we are not sure. It would be in their names. At least, that is the plan. I am a little worried that this might mean they will get additional mail from these groups, which might be bothersome. Anyone know? I personally am pretty irked...
I do not know for sure, but we are pretty confident that if we did tell people our plans, we would be shot down by one or two vocal people. Both because they WANT a bunch of stuff for Christmas....stuff we are not willing to buy....and because they do not want to feel any pressure to do something outside of the gift-orgy-norm. To be clear, the few vocal people we are concerned about have probably never liked the gifts we have given them. And we are not willing to buy...
Ah, gift giving. Is there any end to what we can dissect? I have been watching and participating in several gift threads, mostly in the Parenting forum. Dh and I recently spent a 12 hour car trip discussing and trying to decide what to give people for Christmas this year and it brought up many emotional issues about our lifestyle, our beliefs, commercialization, ethical conflict, etiquette, and family harmony......many of the same issues I have seen discussed in the...
Hi all! I have not had much chance to respond but have been reading on a daily basis. Lots of good points still trickling in. I cannot respond to each one but will say Storm Bride is right on with what my motivations were for starting the thread and with her explanations of why things are not always simple. Even in our relatively "functional" family, there are all sorts of reasons why there is no simple solution. I have been reading Sewchris's responses. Her...
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoopin' Mama While there are stressful situations surrounding the holidays and the gift obligations, I do manage to get to that point sometimes, too. For instance, last year I brought my MIL out caroling with a bunch of friends and their children. I insisted we do it. She enjoyed it, it was lovely and I"m thankful for the memory. Yep. This is the best I can do (right now) and it is where I end up every year. ...
OP back again. I am on vacation and normally do not check on here while traveling, but have been keeping a very close eye on this thread. The discussion has been most helpful and eye-opening to me! I took a little break from posting due to the following: Quote: Originally Posted by North_Of_60 They certainly don't appear to be about the environment or clutter, that's for sure! Along with a couple of other posts with similar...