or Connect

Posts by Yooper

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoopin' Mama And may I just add, before I head back to lurkdom, is that violent acts that occur on Black Friday, and the fact that a WalMart employee was trampled to death last year, does indeed indicate that our consumer-driven holidays can be quite "sick". No kidding!
OP back I was on the road all day driving to the scene of the crime so to speak. Self-inflicted, huh? I dunno....short of writing off entire parts of our families, nothing so far has "worked" which is a big reason why I started this thread. As I mentioned way upstream, we have asked the relatives to limit gifts in two ways. Size (small enough to fit in our house or car if we are driving) and number. The size thing has mostly been held to but the number has been...
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride I can remember threads here where people were describing children in tears, because grandma/grandpa/random aunt (usually a grandma, for whatever reason) was insisting that the child(ren) open all the rest of the gifts, and the child(ren) had already opened 10 or 12 or 14 and was over-stimulated and upset and freaking out. Then, the poster would have to make 2 or 3 trips in their car to get all the stuff...
Quote: Originally Posted by JL83 If you want an honest answer, then yes! It is hard to understand. My niece and nephew are the ones with the giant gift piles (1st of each gender for my parents). They're the ones that have been in tears about Christmas presents and whose parents sat there and didn't try to teach them anything about graciously accepting gifts. But those times are long gone. My parents now spend the same money they used to spend on 1 or...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ninetales If people ask, of course it's appropriate to give ideas and keep them small if you like, but I just don't see any polite way to tell people "don't give us gifts" any more than there is to say "buy us more gifts." It's two sides of the same coin to me. The only thing you can control are your own feelings and actions. Is there a polite way to say "the gifting in our lives is starting to have a real...
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride I haven't finished the thread yet, but my initial thoughts on this... IME, the people I know who overdo it the most are people who are really unhappy, in general. The moms who spend a fortune buying whatever the hot new toy is, are mostly the moms who don't have much of a relationship with their kids. The relatives who insist on piling stuff on people are really disconnected from those people. There's a powerful...
Quote: Originally Posted by JL83 Why didn't you insert your gifts under one of the various trees you were at so that the presents got opened? I'm really confused. That's what happens in my family. Everyone comes to my parents bearing gifts, those gifts all get scattered around the tree and opened as they are selected. I would never occur to me to hold presents back and expect other people to make a "special time" for us to give DD something. If I...
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoopin' Mama And I'll fully admit, stuff is a problem in my life. Yes, I guess I'm giving it too much importance. Ds's bday is in the fall. I literally got a sinking feeling in my stomach this year when I thought about what birthday and Christmas meant -- tons of stuff coming into the house. (The problem is really with just a couple people in the family that I don't need to mention by name). But it's gotten to the point where I...
I have to say that I have gained a lot from this conversation so far! Thanks everyone for being respectful and keep it coming!
Quote: Originally Posted by JL83 But that has nothing to do with your family. If it was that important to you, why didn't you give her your gift before traveling in the privacy of your own home? Well, for starters, we traveled 12 hours to be with family and did so a full week before Christmas. It was a Christmas gift. I guess it never occurred to me that I should have to pencil in a time to give my own child a Christmas gift. Luckily...