or Connect

Posts by wannabemoms

Quote: Originally Posted by Scribe $2.50 PP to the mods and a request. Bah. I'll just start a new one.
That's a tough one, Rachel. I know I am supremely, embarassingly guilty of being a crappy friend in that regard, which is probably why I now, at the age of almost-30, find myself pretty much friendless. I'm really not sure why I do it. I LOVED the friends I had, but unless they were right there (like, as in, we were roommates), making the effort to get together was too much for me. It really isn't, but it felt like it. Now that I live out of town, far away from...
I really hope everything works out for you and your pup and that it's nothing serious. It's terrible when our furkids aren't feeling well s:
Quote: Originally Posted by greenmagick I am a huge fan of rescues, but its starting to get a bit scary lately. On my local craigslist, a lot of the young purebreds and cute puppies that are listed get snatched up by rescues (especially the ones that are free are cheap). Then these "rescues" turn around and adopt them out at $250. A lot of these would've found homes on their own. There was one case were a particular rescue group was posting all kinds...
Quote: Originally Posted by mom0810 Purebred and registered does not mean the dog came from a show breeder. Hardly. ANY thing can be purebred and registered. The dogs in rescue are NOT show dogs, not from show breeders, I can guarantee. None of us would EVER accept that as an option. "Purebred" (I hate that word, it's meaningless) and registered just means the dog has papers from some agency. Sadly, "papers" come from many sources and even AKC...
Geez, I don't know what I would do with that dog. There's seriously no rescues around who could take her? Any not-so-nearby that would be willing to arrange transport? Eek, I'd hate to see that around me, I'd be worried sick. Speaking of preggo dogs, our little miss Heidi entered "womanhood" today, she started her first heat! We decided to delay her spay, partly because she had/has mange and partly because we think there are some long term health benefits to...
Quote: Originally Posted by mom0810 The dogs in rescue do NOT come from show breeders... they come from backyard breeders and puppy mills. . Sadly, this isn't the case. Although it may not be the "fault" of the breeder, there are many purebred, registered dogs that end up in rescues. The OP's question wouldn't even have come up if this wasn't happening.
I've received more clarification about this issue since you first brought it up...unless there is a co-ownership agreement, then the breeder has no legal rights to the dog once it's been signed over to a rescue. Any followup has to be between the breeder and the owner at that point. The rescue has no obligations at all. If there's a co-owner agreement, then the owner cannot legally sign over the dog without the co-signature of the co-owner/breeder. In this case, the...
Our senior kitty's blood panel last year indicated some new kidney issues. We've switched her to a raw diet. She's far more energetic, great appetite, put on a pound or so (needed) and she had bloodwork last week...no more red flags with her kidney. Perfect health, in fact. No one could beleive they were looking at the labwork of a 16 year old cat. The grains are the most likely culprit for the gassiness. Dogs and cats are carnivores. How can high protein be bad...
I don't know about people not in the household, but I do know of at least one fairly well-documented case where a cat living in a nursing home accurately predicted some 20-odd deaths several hours before they happened...here's an article about it in the New England Journal of Medicine. http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/357/4/328